Williamsburg Va

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlimShavings

Established Member
Reaction score
Hope I'm not being to forward here. Thought you might like to see some pictures of the Anthony Hay shop around 1650. if these are to big maybe someone can resize them. Startin left to right clockwise. Its and English shop with 5 people working in it. the benches are all Englsih style similiar to what Chris Schwatz is doing on his site. If you look closely on the fourth picture you will see the three coping style saws they were talking about on the old tool list a whle back. Actually got to hold them LOL THe were in the prcess of makin a new wheel for the lathe. If ya'al got any questions I'll answer what I can if'n ya want :)
Dave

1000018pq6.jpg

1000011nx2.jpg

1000007xf8.jpg

1000008yv5.jpg

1000009nb2.jpg

1000010nb6.jpg

I tried to brighten up the 4th and 5th picture. it worked in the software but doesn't seem to come across. If any of the mods want to try have at it. there is a lot more detail

Incredible. Dave, I would so dearly love to visit there. Sometimes I feel I live on the wrong side of the country.

Thanks much for the pics.

Take care, Mike

They are great pictures and reminds me of when I first started restoring furniture as we do not have mush in the way of power tools
:)

Hi Dave

Great to see a workshop set up with that attention to detail. But it looks like the big wheel only drives a grindstone. Or is that the lathe with a blank mounted in it? How is it powered - by hand?

Thanks for posting.

Regards.

Evergreen":1lwehm9z said:
Hi Dave

Great to see a workshop set up with that attention to detail. But it looks like the big wheel only drives a grindstone. Or is that the lathe with a blank mounted in it? How is it powered - by hand?

Thanks for posting.

Regards.

If I remember right it actually has two speeds :) There are five people that work in the shop. (its about 24xi30 ft) one is a young apprentice who gets to spend as much time as he likes turning that big wheel for someone when they need him :)

houtslager":26tvav1k said:
Got any more, was over there 2 years ago, but could not manage to get there :cry: :cry:

Don't have any more pictures of the shop. but i do have pictures of a couple kitchens from one of he taverns ,some of he buildings. Oh wait. I do have some of the barn they were buildin.pit saw,shnitselbunks (sp) :) shave horses for shingles. I'll try to get those up if ya want.

Great pics of a wonderful shop :).

Oddly enough, I was just re-reading Adam Cherubini's article in Popular Woodworking from a year ago (Nov 2005) on the shop. Looks like they've either made very little progress on that harpsichord, or they're well on the way to making another!

Pete W":3a167kdw said:
Great pics of a wonderful shop :).

Oddly enough, I was just re-reading Adam Cherubini's article in Popular Woodworking from a year ago (Nov 2005) on the shop. Looks like they've either made very little progress on that harpsichord, or they're well on the way to making another!

They have a small display area for furniture on the left side under the dark roof. There was a harpsichord in there like the one on the bench. i talk with Mr Headly in that room and I think the are making another one.. Work doesn't not progress quickly in the shop because of tourists. they take turns talking to groups of people. And i noticed while I was there the apprentice would shapren his plane blade about every ten or so strokes.

MikeW":2jdixr29 said:
Incredible. Dave, I would so dearly love to visit there. Sometimes I feel I live on the wrong side of the country.

Thanks much for the pics.

Take care, Mike

Hey Mike
Anytime you or anybody want to stop around and see the east coast sites your welcome to stay here for a night or two. Gotta be prepared for the hillbilly life style. Lots of shop talk. And I'm just starting remodeling this place inside and out. More outside right now

Thanks for the pictures Slim and personally I would very much like to see the pics of the saw pit etc.

One thing that comes to mind as I look at those pictures, is how few tools there actually are in a hop like that from that era. I recall thinking the same thing when I saw contempory pictures of wood working shops either joiners or cabinet makers.

However I am also reminded of something Jim Tolpin said in the Toolbox Book, that they kept most of their tools in a chest and took out what they needed for the day as the projects did not move that fast. Something that I think Tolpin did not grasp, as he went on and on about minute efficiencies. Something that to my mind is irrelevant when the shortest measure of time you are concerned with is a day.

Great pictures show us the rest please.

Mittlefehldt":2bgb9wrb said:
Thanks for the pictures Slim and personally I would very much like to see the pics of the saw pit etc.

One thing that comes to mind as I look at those pictures, is how few tools there actually are in a hop like that from that era. I recall thinking the same thing when I saw contempory pictures of wood working shops either joiners or cabinet makers.

However I am also reminded of something Jim Tolpin said in the Toolbox Book, that they kept most of their tools in a chest and took out what they needed for the day as the projects did not move that fast. Something that I think Tolpin did not grasp, as he went on and on about minute efficiencies. Something that to my mind is irrelevant when the shortest measure of time you are concerned with is a day.

Great pictures show us the rest please.

I'll try and get them over to imageshack and post them. your right about how few tools they actually have. Didn't see a lot in the chest either. i have been considering thinning out the herd. After going there I've decide to do it. More time for actual woodworking.

Back