Will these guide bushes fit my router?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timberfreak

Established Member
Reaction score
In addition to my 2 "big" routers I also have a little 'cheapy' one I got at B & Q many years ago. It doesn't see a lot of use -- I have to use my big Freud when I need to use a guide bush (coz I ain't got guide bushes for the B'n'Q one.) My big Ryobi lives in the router table.
There's the odd occasion when it would be handy to use the small router . . . if it had any guide bushes!
The 'centre-to-centre' holes in its' base are 50mm apart, so I'm wondering if this guide bush set would fit my router?
None of the websites where I've seen it advertised specify the hole to hole distance of the adaptor plate, and the centre to centre distance on my Freud is 75mm so that set of guide bushes won't fit the small one.

Anyone know the hole to hole distance on that Silverline product?

Thanks in advance.

The guide bushes you have identified appear to be the American type and need a rebate in the base opening. They are attached to the base by means of a screwed collar and not by screws as in the Trend type. Have you considered a Trend universal base when you could use matching guide bushes?

I have not seen that set in the flesh but I did do some research on it recently and came to the conclusion that it would not fit 50mm centred holes so I decided not to take the plunge ! Trend (and others) Euro style guide bushes fit 50mm centred holes though. As foxhunter says, you'll be able to use US style guide bushes with a suitable adaptor plate, Trend do one, not just their circular subbase range but they also do a metal ring type adaptor which looks like it's intended for this purpose.

Timberfreak,

as has been said, the Silverline ones won't work on your router. If the base has two holes at 50 mm centres either side of the opening in the base, and they are diametrically opposite one another, then the base almost certainly follows the ELU/Trend/DeWalt 'standard' for smaller routers (for example, the Trend T5); it's quite common for cheap smaller routers from 'sheds' use the same fitting (for example, I have a 1/4" Power Devil router which takes this size).

Trend sell them direct online, here : http://www.trend-uk.com/en/UK/productlist/4/203/guide_bushes.html; but you can you can buy an equivalent product much cheaper from Axminster - either singly http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-axminster-precision-steel-guide-bushes-prod828880/ or as a set http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-set-of-12-precision-steel-guide-bushes-prod828709/. I bought the set, and found it useful to have a choice of sizes.

If you want to be double certain about the fit before you purchase, take up foxhunter's offer.

Check the base of your B&Q router to see if it has any threaded (tapped) holes in the base (the sort used to bolt the router under a router table). It wouldn't surprise me if there aren't any - in which case you can't easily use any of the Trend sub-bases.

Thanks guys for your responses, and for your offer Foxhunter.

Maybe I should have done this in my first post, so here are a couple of photos >
IMG_4573.jpg

The recess and holes are much the same as on my Freud except on a smaller scale. The only other difference is that the holes aren't tapped -- a 5.5mm drill sits snugly in the hole(s) . . . a 6mm drill won't fit. So, if anything was to fit it would have to be secured with a couple of screws with nuts on the topside.

The next pic shows the base with the plate removed >
IMG_4574.jpg

The only drilled/tapped holes in the base are for the 4 plate fixing screws, so it looks like the Trend universal base plate won't fit.

This is a similar setup to my aldi router, I would not be surprised if they are the same machines but branded differently!

For what it is worth, it is probably worth keeping an eye out with aldi to see when the routers come on offer again, I paid £25 for mine, not used it properly yet but for that price I couldn't say no!

Hi again Timberfreak,

from the pictures, I'd say the base on your router is identical in configuration to my PowerDevil .... as Adam says, probably all made in the same factory in Chaiwan!

The plastic sub-base is fixed with four tiny M4 screws - no good for the Trend sub-bases. The holes either side off the central opening on my router respond to the 'drill' test as they do on yours - snug fit on 5.5mm, no fit on 6mm - and they too are unthreaded, which means that you'll need short M5 countersunk screws and nuts to hold the guide bush in place.

Regards

Chris

with some care maybe you could make yourself a subbase to attach using those M4 thread holes. The subbase would have a hole large enough to accept those US Style bushes if those are what you wish to use. Or just bolt the Euro syle ones directly to the router ( and worry about centring it)

Back