Will Quangsheng take LN frog?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ivan

Established Member
Reaction score
Does any one know if a LN frog will fit Quangsheng bench planes? I was lucky enough to be brought several LN planes by a US based relative, on their visits to the UK. Exchange rate was better then, and no sales tax. Cost now is out of sight. I have a couple of LN high angle frogs, and wonder if they might fit the cheaper plane, often quoted as a "LN copy".

You'll have to try. On V3 of the planes sold in the US under woodriver, I remember the president of WC saying that they made changes to the planes to move some bits that were more LN-like back to the older bedrock look and patterns. This may sound odd to some, but the interior of the LN planes and the adjuster wheel and such are distinctly LN, and not dead bedrock copies.

I have no idea why this was, but would guess that something went on where both looked at overseas production and when the deal went sour, it was better to remove anything that was LN-ish from what WC was selling.

Point being, it may be that the frogs in the earlier planes were close enough copies of LN to fit, and if QS tool didn't have to do that for planes sold overseas, they may or may not have made the changes.

I don't know of anyone who has an identical size of plane from both, but the V3 planes sold in the US (which are probably the majority now) *shouldn't* fit. Are there any retailers who sell both plane types in the UK, or is it either or?

I don't know about Quangsheng planes, but I have experimented with swapping frogs between an L-N No.4 1/2 and Clifton No.4 1/2 (both 2 3/8" planes). No luck, the pin spacing is wrong.

Same with L-N No.5 1/4 and Clifton No.3 (both 1 3/4" planes).

I've not had access to other sizes of Bedrock planes.

Cheers, Vann.

Latest posts

Back