wife's treating me to a new scroll saw..but which one.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are all the same saw but with different accessories. As a saw they all do the same work, though the Draper looks as though it doesn't come with the clamps for pinless blades attached. The Jet JSS-16 from Axminster is also the same saw for £112. Do you need a built in flexible drive? Actually, you could buy the Jet and a Dremel clone for less than the Draper costs. I think if I was to buy a new scroll saw, I'd buy from somewhere where it's easy to return it, just in case.

I started scroll sawing with the Axminster version of the Record Power saw, their AWVFS, now sold as the Jet JSS16.

It was ok when used within its limits but if you do a lot of internal cuts it gets tiresome to keep having to back off and wind up the rear tension knob every time you need to unhook the blade to re-position it in a new entry hole.

What will help on these saws is to make a zero clearance table insert so your workpiece has support right up to the blade. The original plastic insert is very thin and bendy and makes control difficult in tight corners.

I also removed the side cover so the bottom clamp was exposed which makes blade changing and re-clamping infinitely easier, just remember to keep your fingers out when the saw is running!!

Most people who start on these types of scroll saw find that they very quickly move on to a better saw, in my case an Excalibur EX21, so I would say try to pick the one that will give the best return when you sell it on, (Axminster / Jet always sells well).

I have no knowledge of any of these saws, but I would go with Martin’s advice and purchase from a reputable dealer.

For instance Axminster Tools, their customer service is second to none.

Disclaimer, I have no connection with Axminster Tools, other than a very satisfied customer many times over, more times than I would admit to my long haired boss. :roll:

Happy scroll sawing, which ever saw you choose, warning, it is addictive.

Chris R.

Your right about scroll saws being addictive Chris....... I have started to see a counsellor to try and help me control my urges to sneak out to the workshop and turn it on! my first visit i had to do the usual thing "Hi I'm Brian and I'm a Scroll Addict" its amazing to see the number of "Addicts" about including one extreme case of " Mr D who actually married his saw" and another who is in a bitter custody battle for his precious Hegner!
If only someone had warned me about it before I may have picked a less addictive hobby like Line Dancing! 9-)
Brian
Ps Don't worry I will keep taking my pills lol

Brian.

From your post it is evident that pills are not strong enough for you, see if you can get the injections.
Or like me you can say that using the scroll saw keeps you away from wild, wild women, (chance would be a fine thing). :roll:

Having said that, in your case, you and the saw are turning out some very fine work, so stop taking the pills and go for it.

Take care, and I think that scroll saw users should have a saying, (like anglers “tight lines”), maybe something like, (“may your blade never wander”). :?:

Chris R.

Thanks for all your advice, BUT turns out i'm not having one...Boo. Was a hoax by family to throw me off the scent.

My two eldest son's have bought me this as an early xmas present....woohoo.

Latest posts

Back