White spirit and cold weather.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pren

Established Member
Reaction score
Just tried cleaning a brush that I'd been using to apply some eggshell paint. Stood it in an inch or so of White Spirit as normal but nothing happened. No paint came off the brush at all. :? I even sniffed the liquid to make sure that I'd not used water ....

I tried warming the jar that the WSp and brush was sat in with a heat gun but gave up after seeing white vapours coming off the liquid :shock:

I have icicles from frozen condensation in my workshop so the temp is well below freezing in there (which is where the WSp is kept).
Is this normal ..... (the non-cleaning white spirt, not the sniffing part)?

Check the paint tin to see if white spirits is suitable for thinning/brush cleaning you may need something stronger

Ok, so ..... since when has eggshell paint been water based? :oops: :oops: #-o

I totally dismissed Studder's advice about checking if it was water based. "Of course eggshell's oil based - it smells ..... 'oily'..."

I walked past the paint tin yesterday. In BIG letters on the side it said 'Water based paint'. :roll:

Luckily the brush was still sat in the WS so I was able to clean it in water.

Eejit! :roll: :lol: :lol:

pren":bdg03wm1 said:
I totally dismissed Studder's advice about checking if it was water based.
:lol:
I even deleted my post as I had a look at one of my tins of eggshell.... 'clean brushes in white spirit' so I thought I was talking poo.

We live n learn.

Back