Which Router should I buy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaguar999

Reaction score
Hi All,
Need a quick advice. I need a half inch collect router. Wish to make a router table someday to make Plantation shutters. (Someday)
I am currently looking out for used tools.

Please advice which one should I guy.
Pro 1200Watt half inch collect like new for £30
Ryobi Used one for £40

Please advise.

Hhmmm, probably neither of those. If forced I would choose the ryobi. Don't be fooled by the name 'pro'. I've yet to see a 'pro' (performance power pro, or pro power- both shed brands, b and q I think) in the hands of a carpenter or joiner.
Most here would advocate searching online for an old elu, or similar. I would probably agree.
Plantation shutters are a great project, but not one I would suggest for a beginner (which I am assuming you are, maybe wrongly).
Having said that - noone would have put me off trying!!!
Good luck. If you were near Luton I would have let you play with an elu to try one.
Www (hammer)

Thank you so much for advice, and kind offer to try out your router. But I live in Wokingham and its a bit too far.
I have one more option: Trent T-Tech TT/R127 router for £35 shall I go for this one?
Need to know quickly

The trend ttech series are only badged trend- they are not really a trend model. I believe most of the trend routers to be copies of the elu brand.
Hate to say it, but with routers you do get what you pay for. I think I'd pass on the ttech.
You can get 2nd hand bargains on eBay....

Buy the pro one for thirty quid. DO NOT expect it to last a lifetime.

It will give you some useful experience before it dies, and when you discover its limitations you will be happier spending more on the next one.

+1 for sunny bob, if you have the money to spend on a better one then do, but if not it will at least get you working. When strapped for cash as a new family man I bought a jigsaw for 15 quid. Not great but it lasted a few years and I upgraded when I could afford it.

Back