Which Random Orbit Sander should I buy?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamesc

Established Member
Reaction score
Having a birthday fast approaching my wife has said that I can spend up £100 on a new toy. I have decided that a ROS is what I want but which one. Obviously with this budget Festool is out.
The main work I do is in Oak, the next few jobs are some paneling, new kitchen doors and a laminated door arch to give an idea of use.

Any recommendationsor warnings would be gratefully received

Jamesc":1wtg44fm said:
Having a birthday fast approaching my wife has said that I can spend up £100 on a new toy. I have decided that a ROS is what I want but which one. Obviously with this budget Festool is out.
The main work I do is in Oak, the next few jobs are some paneling, new kitchen doors and a llaminateddoor arch to give an idea of use.

Any rrecommendationsor warnings would be gratefully received

Spend a little more and get the Metabo.

Hi Dibs,

Axminster list the SXE 425 at £114.95. Is this the model you would recomend? The 450 is realy pushing my luck.

Thanks for your help

James

Krysstel":3jesurso said:
Isn't the AEG as good as the Metabo but for less money ? :wink:
http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.php/section/7694/sn/AEGEX150E

Mark

Hi Mark, It certainly looks close to the Metabo, but it doesn't have the adjustable power button on the base or the turbo on the handle. There are clones of the Metabo, including the Dewalt.

Another vote for the Metabo :D

Cheers

Mike

For the kind of work you are proposing, it does sound as though you would be better off with a 6in/150mm sander - in which case, I'm with all the others in recommending the Metabo SCE450 (had one for over five-years, now)! :D

If you wanted to save a bit of cash and go for a 5in/125mm sander though, I can highly recommend the Bosch model, which should still be available for less than £80. Bought one last summer and the only thing I don't like is that you have to buy an additional adaptor and hose if you to connect a vacuum to it! :x Otherwise, it's very comfortable to use single-handed and doesn't vibrate as much as the other non-random orbital sanders. It's also less 'wild' than the larger ROSs.

Jamesc":ry65ibnu said:
Hi Dibs,

Axminster list the SXE 425 at £114.95. Is this the model you would recomend? The 450 is realy pushing my luck.

Thanks for your help

James

Sorry - should have said - it's the 450 as the others have said. You'll not regret it as 6" discs are cheaper & easier to get hold of at cheap prices compared to 5" (the auto body world uses 6").

I'd push the boat out - if I were you.

Dibs

An ignoramus asks:
Why a random orbital sander rather than a belt sander and/or palm sander?

Tim Nott":261vb7zk said:
An ignoramus asks:
Why a random orbital sander rather than a belt sander and/or palm sander?

definitely not a daft question, simply. I have a belt sander that I am very happy with.
I have a 1/3 sheet orbital sander that is absolute rubbish.

I want to replace the orbital and the ROS seemed the best way to go for the kind of work I do.

James

Aaaaargh,

I showed my wife this thread and the price of the sander and she said yes. Now I've got to thinking what else I could get for £200.

I must stop it, I've decided to hang on till just after my birthday as there is the Elliots Southern Tool Fair at the Rose Bowl in June. The listing for Metabo says "the famous SXE450 Turbo tec 6" sander will be on a show stopping deal" so I think I will contain myself until then.

Thanks for all the help guys, it looks like I'm on my way to balancing up my tool collection. Most of my kit is metal working so it's about time I had a bit of decent woodworking stuff as this predominantly what I spend my time on.

James

Mike, sorry I couldn't fin the post you refered to, have you a link?

Hi James
I like most dont think you can beat the Metabo sxe45o married to a abranet disc, but before you buy have a look at the prices on that well known internet auction site as low as £159 at the moment

+1 for the Metabo 450, it really is a tool classic. I was using mine to polish up a bit of slate this afternoon, and it worked a treat.

Cheers

Aled

I bought the sxe450 turbo ros today from axminster after looking at the makita and dewalt and also the aeg sanders they are all very good in there own way but i ended up with the metabo excellent build quality and nice and quiet not to much vibration i got a free clamp and rucksack with mine. :lol:

BTR":xod07nfx said:
I bought the sxe450 turbo ros today from axminster after looking at the makita and dewalt and also the aeg sanders they are all very good in there own way but i ended up with the metabo excellent build quality and nice and quiet not to much vibration i got a free clamp and rucksack with mine. :lol:

You lucky thing :D Did you buy it online? I am just about to invest in one of those ROS's too.

I went into the nuneaton branch myself wanted to get a feel of the beast before buying it and it feels good :lol:

Another one for the metabo450, proper solid piece of kit.

I had a quick scan before on ebay and google product search (google.co.uk/products) and saw some for about 160 notes. Definitely recommend it.

_Dan :)

Back