which chuck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miscwires

Reaction score
Im just getting started with woodturning and have been lucky enough to pick up a second hand Jet JWL - 1442 lathe. I'm now wondering what chuck would be best. Im hoping to turn fairly substantial pieces (eventually) - what chuck/jaws would you recommend I get?

thanks

I'll be the first to say Axminster Precision Chuck. You can get them second hand or wait till early next year when they start production In the uk again. They have a huge range of jaws and will hold pretty massive lumps solid as a rock.

Also the Patriot is really good but the jaws and accessories are much more expensive.

The Axminster super precision is probably overkill for a lathe of that size. The Axminster K10 would be a better fit. Both chucks use the same range of jaws so if you upgrade your lathe in the future, you can keep the jaws if you upgrade to the SP chuck.

This seems to be very similar to the Super Precision Chuck in that it's based on a 4" four jaw self centering engineering chuck.

http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/VERSACHUCK_FOUR_JAW_WOODWORKING_CHUCKS.html

At £126 it looks to be a bargain seeing as it comes with accessory jaws for Axminster, Sorby Patriot AND Oneway chucks as well as the Axminster "C" type jaws (or equivalent)

These extra accessory jaws mean that you can pick up almost any jaws you fancy and fit them to your chuck quickly and easily. The Axminster accessory jaws are £25 per set.

Cheers
Aled

I have a Versachuck, which means I can use my Vicmarc and Nova fit jaws on it too, but it`s not as quick and easy as it might seem at first. Jaws have to be fitted in a certain order, which depends on the brand, and unless you have a set of carriers for each set of jaws you own, you still have to fiddle with fixing screws. So I tend to just leave it with the same set of jaws all the time.
Can`t comment on the Axminster chucks, but the Supernova is a good chuck, widely available and relatively inexpensive.

Ian

Back