Which chisel to use

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maverick54

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, got some large dowels that measure 300mm long x 40mm in diameter.

Think they are made of Beech but definatley hardwood. They are already smooth, but need to reduce the diameter to 30mm turning them between centres.

What would be the best chisel to use for a beginner with no experience?

Also I will need to part these off after. What would be the best size parting chisel for jobs of this size.
Thanks

Hi

I'd use a 3/4" roughing gouge to reduce them close to size and then a 3/4" skew to bring them to the exact size and impart a good finish. Larger and smaller tools will also work but the 3/4" ones are good all rounders.

If you're apprehensive about using a skew you can achieve almost as good a finish by using the wings of the roughing gouge.

I do almost all of my parting off with a 1/8" parting tool.

Regards Mick

Yep! what Mick says.
However the skew can be a frustrating learn so I'd have a bit of practice on some scrap first. If you dont get the hang of it in time, a nice sharp roughing gouge will do the majority of the job and you could do the fine tuning with some decent abrasive (on a block if need be).

Careful not to use that parting tool all the way through if you're turning it between centres

When my skew has not been behaving (which is most of the time, because I'm rubbish), I've resorted to getting the widest parting tool I have, which is probably around 1/2", and just running that in... You can get a great finish, and if you're careful can get the diameter pretty exact all the way along...
Easy, quick, and most definitely cheating.

Fraser

Back