Where might I find hinges like this in the UK?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuncanA

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm currently building a Dutch Tool Chest following a guide in Popular Woodworking Magazine which recommends using these 'unequal strap hinges' from Lee Valley for the lid: http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.a ... 41262&ap=1 (Option D)

I've had a look around online and can't find any similar products available in the UK - plenty of T-hinges and cranked hinges but nothing quite like the Lee Valley hinges, which will fit the chest flush with one strap on the outside back, and one on the inside lid. Does anyone know of anywhere that sells a similar hinge in the UK? Or will I need to bite the bullet and pay for them to be shipped from the US.

You can get plain strap hinges easily and then you could do some simple metalwork to fashion the ends for shape and inequality as required around the existing mounting holes.
Chemical blackening kits are available or you could just paint them.

MM

found some on amazon very similar just google "unequal strap hinge" and have the search set for uk only

I've considered a blacksmith, though I expect getting them custom made will end up costing at least as much as ordering the Lee Valley ones from the US. Although I have found online a blacksmith that is fairly local and it can't hurt to ask for a quote.

As for modifying some ordinary strap hinges - I have no experience of any metal work, I assume most of the reshaping can be done with a hacksaw and file? The other problem I thought I might encounter is with the way most of the hinges I've been looking at are counter sunk. The hinge on the tool chest is screwed from 'opposite sides', so with a standard hinge one strap will be countersunk on the wrong side.

Cedarwood, on Amazon the only result I get is a Popular Woodworking Book, any chance you could send me a link?

Hacksaw and files will do nicely. You could hammer the counter sunk holes with a smallish ball pein hammer to transfer the counter sink to the other side of the hinge.

Don't be frightened of metal, it is generally a much better behaved material than wood. No knots, splits, grain or shrinkage to worry about.

Myfordman":2e6frg8e said:
Don't be frightened of metal, it is generally a much better behaved material than wood. No knots, splits, grain or shrinkage to worry about.

How true. If only it was such cold, dirty, scratchy stuff, a bit more like wood really.

Jim

There's a reclamation 'yard' in Moreton in Marsh that does new ironmongery like this - can't remember their name though.

I'm not sure they do this exact design but it's worth a call/ look online.

Latest posts

Back