Where is the best place for router bits?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
for the past few years I have made do with a B+Q pro router and table, an Aldi and Argos router. Now I'm in the process of making a new table, I've bought a new router, Triton TRB001 with above table height adjustment and enough power to do anything I dream of.
With the router table easily accessible and usable I am guessing that I will be doing a lot more routing in the future.
So if I am going to use the router more I would like some quality bits to use as opposed to the free ones that came with my other routers.

to my question at last, where is the best place for router bits here in the UK, axminster,screwfix,ebay or is it more cost effective to buy from the states? Do you get what you pay for? I don't need to be using the bits all the time, I'm not using it professionally but don't mind spending a little bit more if you get my drift.
Are there brands to steer clear of? brands that are a must have?

Many thanks in advance,
Cheers, Si

Wow, thanks for the speedy response guys. I will defo give wealdens a go.

Mike " I have used MLCS in the US for years" is postage and cutter price comparable or better than wealdens?

Thanks again,

Cheers, Si

I've only bought a few, being a bit of a newbie myself, but count mine as yet another vote for Wealden.

Another vote for Wealden from me and I've also used the blue Tornado bits from Rutlands as well which are quite good for hobby use.

Steve

Wealdons here too, the quality/price of their stuff is really good :D

I use to always just buy the Trend Pro(red packet) ones from my local dealer but the Wealdons ones are cheaper and far superior

Yep, another vote for wealden. I find the biggest tester of a router cutter is joining laminate kitchen worktops, trend is ok, but after two joints including the dog bones the cutter is fubared, a wealden is cheaper and lasts longer.

one thing I noticed the other day, screwfix have stopped supplying trend cutters, and only keeping erbeuar and titan ( :shock: ) in stock in their local stores, and also stock really expensive CMT in their warehouses. I haven't used CMT cutters but imagine they would be no better than wealden.

CMT bits are good but pricy. I have not used any Wealdons. Trend are great as are Titman cutters. I still spend money at MLCS. Postage, delivery and taxes add to the price but they are very good value. They are expensive to some other brands sold (not neccessary manufactured) sold in the States. Their cutters have done well in Magazine tests, such as Fine Woodworking, which is where I came accross them in the small ads..

Back