when using the skew....now with video!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leo":5ayqmoiw said:
Have a look at a couple of quick videos that I made, I am sorry for both the camera angle and being too quick on the vids.,I also don't use the skew in the normal way when going fromright to left, I find that my way causes much less catches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRZOh2Z1yRw

I am going to make a slower vid. with better camera angles soon and will post on here first.
Someone else, who is good at teaching, may wish to add a video, teaching isn't my thing, but I just try to help,if I can. For skew work,I have found Richard Raffan's " Turning wood " invaluable, he teaches the way that I understand and copied him to death, it worked for me anyway.

Have a look at my vids anyway, you may get something out of them.

Leo

Well I certainly did Leo :)
Only been turning for a few short weeks and have put off getting a skew chisel. After seeing from your vids just how versatile the tool is I am going to get one and practise with it.
Looking forward to a video with better camera angles too.
Cheers
Keith

good video thanks. I like the on-screen caption idea. need to watch it again and just practice I think. It's the speed you get the stock coming off cleanly, that gets me!

Glad that the vids. are helping someone.

Even if they help one person, I am more than happy. If you watch closely you see where the wood dust is on the blade, so that's the area that you cut with, ie. the bottom 1/3.

Leo

update.
limited myself to the skew only today and i think i am getting there! :) removed wood, had smooth finish and no catches :shock: admittedly i am only making sticks, but its all practice.
i have taken comments on board - toolrest slightly higher, elbow kept close to body and moving weight from foot to foot instead of moving arms, trying to keep angle of blade at about 45 deg to the work, keeping tool as sharp as possible.

new short vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1STnbzs ... ideo_title

seems to be working. :D
next week bigger sticks :!:
thanks for all the advice guys and gurls =D>

I haven't looked at all of the latest youtube yet Nev, but one thing I would say is not to start at the very end and work in. Always work towards the end. There's a good chance you will bite of too much starting end inwards.

Practice is the way to go and good for you mate. It's a very satisfying tool to use init =D> =D>

Looking much better Nev.
Assaid though, on the right end, start an inch or two in and cut towards the end, left to right, then start your right to left cuts just before that starting point or the end will grab you. it feels good, when you think " I hardly need to sand this piece " doesn't it !!!.

Towards the end of the vid.you seemed to go back to being nearly a vertical cut towards the end, this is just practice, as you started to forget the new stance you've adapted to.

But is the blade sharp ??,I find it cuts like butter and you are doing things right, so it should be cutting easier. Just a thought.

Practice, practice.

Leo

Jonzjob":34p4325h said:
I haven't looked at all of the latest youtube yet Nev, but one thing I would say is not to start at the very end and work in. Always work towards the end. There's a good chance you will bite of too much starting end inwards.

Practice is the way to go and good for you mate. It's a very satisfying tool to use init =D> =D>

agreed, just found out the hard way about starting at the end :oops: just trying to keep as much as possible right handed.
i'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous!

thanks for all the advice guys =D>

Well, apart from stealing one of my favorite expressions about giving arms!

It's a very good thing to be able to use the skew both handed. It saves you from practicing several of the more advanced positions in yoga :shock: :shock:

And don't forget that anyone who tells you he is a born expert with the skew, or anything, is just a born lier :mrgreen: We all had to learn to walk...

Yup,

I found the Skew to be the worst pig of a son of a ^%$%^&, at first, but love it now. You can still use your skew right handed to go right to left, just make sure that the 45 degrees is the other way and stand at the left hand side of the lathe to be comfortable.

You used my favourite saying about giving arms too.

Leo

Back