What's with the phrase 'DUMBING' down?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
When did 'DUMMING' down become 'DUMBING' down?

The American expression 'He/she is a dummy, means someone who has the brains and reasoning power of a tailor's dummy.

I have a lifelong friend who is a deaf mute. He also happens to be one of the best joiners I ever met. Yes he is 'dumb', because he can't speak. So 'dumbing down' is offensive to me.

It has nothing to do with the word dumb; (unable to speak).

I wish folk would stop using this repugnant expression and it's derivatives. It gives rise to the idea that anyone who is unable to speak, is of low intelligence. Would you say that of Evelyn Glennie, for instance?

Why can't we just say what we mean... i.e. 'simplified' or 'simplifying'.
So please folks, if you must use the term can you moderate it to 'Dummied-down'?

Sorry to sound pedantic, but it's how I feel.

John

Dumb has multiple meanings:

quote from dictionary

dumb (dm)
adj. dumb·er, dumb·est
a. Lacking the power of speech. Used of animals and inanimate objects.
b. Often Offensive Incapable of using speech; mute. Used of humans. See Usage Note at mute.
2. Temporarily speechless, as with shock or fear: I was dumb with disbelief.
3. Unwilling to speak; taciturn.
4. Not expressed or articulated in sounds or words: dumb resentment.
5. Nautical Not self-propelling.
6. Conspicuously unintelligent; stupid: dumb officials; a dumb decision.
7. Unintentional; haphazard: dumb luck.
tr.v. dumbed, dumb·ing, dumbs
To make silent or dumb.
Phrasal Verb:
dumb down/up Slang
To rewrite for a less educated or less sophisticated audience.

[Middle English, from Old English.]
dumbly adv.
dumbness n.

Our Living Language In ordinary spoken English, a sentence such as He is dumb will be interpreted to mean "He is stupid" rather than "He lacks the power of speech." "Lacking the power of speech" is, however, the original sense of the word, but it has been eclipsed by the meaning "stupid."

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/dumb

Unfortunately I think it's that annoying thing that is the evolution of language, just think about the word 'gay' etc.
I often get annoyed about the change of use of various words or phrases [especially due to over exposure to American english] but it's naive to expect others to resist change, even if I do.
No offence intended, but the use of the word/spelling can hardly ever be used to intentionally insult people who can't speak. Sometimes the offence is in the ear of the beholder.

[Just noticed BB's post overlapping mine.]

Benchwayze":2pxo85ms said:
So please folks, if you must use the term can you moderate it to 'Dummied-down'?

Whilst I respect your feelings and request I'm afraid you'll likely find me using the popular terminology. Largely because I'll probably not remember what you (or any other forum member) finds individually offensive beyond the norm (i.e. any offense would be unintentional). If, however, more people on the forum find it equally offensive then I'll obviously put more effort in to altering my words.

This evolution of the language may well be linked to the ubiquitous and wide ranging media available to us all.

What I find annoying is the application and accepance of lazy English - my least favourite being 'I could of'. derived from the elididing of 'I could have'.

The other annoyance is the apparently accepted interchange of the words 'fewer' and 'less'.

I can remember when young having correct English usage drummed into me with it being illustrated by the incorrect use of 'learn' and 'teach'. I can remember hearing someone saying 'That'll learn you' and then being told how ignorant it sounded and to never get it wrong myself.

These days the rest of my family take great pleasure in pointing out my excessive use of the semi-colon; I mean; I just don't know what they mean.

Having done a fair bit of technical proofreading in my time I find poorly spelled or text with bad grammar or incorrect words quite detracting. I guess it also derives from having hours and hours of Engish Language lessons - my school also had English Literature lessons which gave me an enjoyment of Dickens and Chaucer but a decided dislike of Shakespeare.

So, in complete agreement with the OP I wish that correct, clear and unambiguous language was the norm.

Misterfish

monkeybiter":14s51vtw said:
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/dumb

Unfortunately I think it's that annoying thing that is the evolution of language, just think about the word 'gay' etc.
I often get annoyed about the change of use of various words or phrases [especially due to over exposure to American english] but it's naive to expect others to resist change, even if I do.
No offence intended, but the use of the word/spelling can hardly ever be used to intentionally insult people who can't speak. Sometimes the offence is in the ear of the beholder.

[Just noticed BB's post overlapping mine.]

I still think the 'offence' if there is one, is in the misinterpretation of yet another example of Amercan Slang, by those who didn't think when they spoke.

So you won't object, if I do take exception! I might intend it! :wink:

PS..

I was informed that the word Gay in it's modern accepted sense was an acronym meaning 'Good As You'. Although that would be tantamount to saying that Heterosexuals thought Homosexuals were/are inferior.Which is clearly a generalisation.

I don't think much of Shakespeare either! Some of it is acceptable, but that's it for me!

John :)

Benchwayze":1bx7xkm7 said:
When did 'DUMMING' down become 'DUMBING' down?

As far as I'm aware it has always been 'DUMBING' down. I have never seen it written as ''DUMMING' down.

As BB says, 'dumb' means mute, but it also means stupid, and it has done for at least the fifty years I've been around on this earth. Lots of words have more than one meaning, and most people have no difficulty in differentiating between them without confusion.

Most people will live their whole lives without encountering a mute person and so to most people 'dumb' means 'stupid', and they will use the word without it occurring to them that its origin may or may not be from the offensive use of a description of a person without the use of speech.

Language evolves and changes; there is little that anyone can do about it. My kids use the word 'gay' to mean 'a bit rubbish' or pathetic. I suspect that it will cease to be used to describe homosexuals within our lifetimes.

Benchwayze":3kpkjdnj said:
It gives rise to the idea that anyone who is unable to speak, is of low intelligence. Would you say that of Evelyn Glennie, for instance?

Agree with your sentiment, John, as my wife used to work with a profoundly deaf graduate engineer. But Evelyn Glennie is definitely not dumb (in any sense!). Profoundly deaf, yes, but a very coherent and inspiring speaker. Her parents live on the other side of the burn from us, so she gets a lot of coverage locally.

So did her brother in relation to a diesel spillage, but that's another story.....

One learns something every day...

I always thought EG was both deaf and without speech! There you go... Well, she is still something of a wonder..

Anyhow folks I've had my moan, so I am not wishing to fall out with anyone over this..

Thanks for the input each and everyone.

Regards
John

Latest posts

Back