Whats under the stone.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To Swagman
Henk died 2 years ago therefore he will not be able to answer the question anymore.
I had a guess for Llyn Idwall - grecian hone, however what throws me is that you described is as absorbing water which LI does not.
As with TOS also I do not think so. Again does not absorb water.

adrspach":3ueo8dmq said:
To Swagman
Henk died 2 years ago therefore he will not be able to answer the question anymore.
I had a guess for Llyn Idwall - grecian hone, however what throws me is that you described is as absorbing water which LI does not.
As with TOS also I do not think so. Again does not absorb water.

Absorption of water and friability makes me think of a fine sandstone of some type.

swagman":1omukxte said:
If its origins can be traced to Scotland, or Ireland, or Wales, but more importantly not England, that would be extremely pleasing.

regards Stewie;

:?: :?: :?:

Biliphuster":1ynnwqui said:
swagman":1ynnwqui said:
If its origins can be traced to Scotland, or Ireland, or Wales, but more importantly not England, that would be extremely pleasing.

regards Stewie;
Got a chuckle out of that, too. Probably would go over better on a French site!

Maybe a comment on English geology ?

I've conquered Ben Nevis and Snowdon but can't say I'm that fussed about Scafell Pike.

D_W":g4llp9g1 said:
Biliphuster":g4llp9g1 said:
swagman":g4llp9g1 said:

regards Stewie;
Got a chuckle out of that, too. Probably would go over better on a French site!

What would you expect from an Australian with Scottish heritage. Check the history books. :mrgreen:

Stewie, do you know that more than 1/4 of the English have Irish heritage, don't know the proportion of Scots heritage, but no doubt a lot. I'm a proper Londoner with an Irish first name and Scottish surname (would be even more authentic with a Jewish middle name). Also 100% of our geology has mainland European heritage, well except for any meteors that have landed here in the last 14,000 years since the ice melted and the sea flooded the English Channel, so an English stone is really French (don't tell Napoleon).
Paddy

Tested the stone out this morning with a 1" Chisel using the LN Honing Guide. The honing oil application on the stone had too much of a dampening effect on the stones cut, so I removed all the surface oil from the stone using Meth. Spirits, followed by a working over with a finely grit slurry stone. The water achieved far better results, and I have noted this stone as water only. Based on previous experience I rate this stones at 12000 grit(+), making it an excellent extra fine finishing stone.

The following photo shows the finish worked on the primary bevel from this stone

Testing the cutting edge on hardwood end grain.

Stewie;

adrspach":12vsjcs0 said:
Can you confirm that the hone absorbs the water?

I am prepared to back away from the previous claim that the stone was absorbing water. In hindsight it was a fairly hot day outside, and even warmer in the workshop. Today it was much cooler in the workshop, and I had no issues keeping a film of water on the top surface of the stone. Appreciate you asking for an update. Hopefully, this clarification will narrow the field of possibilities.

The other thing to make mention, its difficult to work up a slurry on this stone.

regards Stewie;

Grecian looks like an excellent guess. Another stone that I've never used.

swagman":20epsjyw said:
DW; I have posted details on the Hindostan Hone in the following forum; http://straightrazorplace.com/hones/129 ... -hone.html

regards Stewie;

I can't make out any layers on the side of that stone. I think I've mentioned before, I have at least two of those - one coarse and one much finer. Like every stone, you can get sharp tools with them - and I'm sure a razor could be made to shave with some alternating work with linen and leather, but not as easily as can be done with some of the finer stones.

My experience with all sandstones in general is that they are a bit slow compared to the finish the leave, and they were probably listed in catalogs for half of the price of an arkansas or washita stone as a low-cost option (that would be easy to verify, I'm just too lazy).

My fine one is probably 4000 grit equivalent, and the coarse one closer to 1000. I get them by accident when snagging old inexpensive stones that are covered with grime or where the pictures aren't that great, and they are hard to get rid of.

I've got coarser sandstones, too - same thing, gotten with auctions for several stones at a time or by accident.

Back