what wood for a loft hatch?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KentAndy

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to replace an old loft hatch and was wondering what would would be best to use and what kind of thickness?

If it's being hinged, you will need about 18mm to allow for safe hinge fixing, but if you just need a push up and out jobbie, then 10, or 12mm ply would do, and fit the stops to suit.
HTH Regards Rodders

Mines 18mm ply I think. Does it really matter so long as it looks proper and does it's job. I mean 6mm with a reinforcing frame on the upper side would surely do, maybe even thinner with more frame. My fathers isn't a solid panel, it's a softwood frame with a thin sheet on both sides, does the job just fine. In older houses I've see it made from T&G, probably floorboards - not my taste to be honest but it filled the hole.

Personally I prefer plywood in a frame, this is one I made recently.

ED178EA5-8FEB-460A-ADF8-BA65ED01A6F2_zpsbee01751.jpg

I form a rebate on the edge of the 18mm ply which fits in a corresponding rebate in the frame which allows the ply to sit flush with the frame on the inside should a roof ladder be required. The frame gives a good fixing for hinges & helps keep the ply flat.I like to do as much in the shop as I can, I usually make a frame, architrave it, hang the hatch & paint it before installation so minimising time on site

5D480900-3A62-439C-A047-7A3858B803D1_zps2ad7b963.jpg

phil.p":24ikzj4u said:
Nice job, Doug, but I'm glad I wasn't picking up the bill. :)

Thanks Phil, to be honest this option was cheaper than the others the customer had looked at, their first choice was a wooden folding ladder but the alteration of the ceiling joists to accommodate one would have been more costly than the one I made that simply fit between the joists.
They also preferred the fact that there would be no decorating doing it the way we did.

Latest posts

Back