what wood ? and advice on stability please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimonT

Established Member
Reaction score
I (hmmmm) rescued a 6 foot log from local park whilst walking my dog, was too big to play fetch with so we took it home. Its approx 6' long by 6 inch diameter found and i found it about 4 months ago. I'm in the process of cutting it up now and this is what it looks like :-

20150102_190511.jpg
[/URL]

My thought is laburnum but have never seen it in person, smells like pea pods when cut. I'm cutting it into rounds of approx 12" and sealing ends with paraffin wax. Ideas on stability and whether its likely to split would be appreciated too.

Thanks guys and gals

I THINK laburnum, too. Bark picture would help.

I have some pieces similarly sized. In the round it has split, but split on purpose through the pith and it hasn't. You've obviously got at least two piths there, (and as I look at it, a pair of starey old man's eyes!!).

You may have to split straight through the two main ones and seal the ends then cross fingers

HTH

Greg

Thanks greg. This was a crotch peice i cut off the main log so its not all like this. Its only 6 in diameter so not really big enough to turn bowls (or is it?) So was hoping to seal ends, after turning it into rough rounds tomorrow. Will see if i can get a better pic with bark.

Thanks again.

Maybe a little beyond my skill level (or a lot even), but a lovely piece none the less and i will certainly give it a go. Thanks for the suggestion chas, and the methods to hold it.

Fantastic method for holding the blank chas, well done and to re affirm my original point it is WELL above my skill level lol

I would bet money on it being acacia (false acacia, robinia)

This stuff

P1020563.JPG

Attachments

• P1020563.JPG
    P1020563.JPG
    167 KB · Views: 825
Is it just me? Sorry no idea on the wood.

The Scream.
the scream.jpg

Attachments

• the scream.jpg
    the scream.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 819
woodfarmer":5cwoskdl said:

Ah, never come across this before. The bark does look very similar indeed. Although i cant find anything on turning robina, are there tell tale signs when turning it too? Is it any good to turn?

Any advances on robina / laburnum guys?

SimonT":39iz4so5 said:
woodfarmer":39iz4so5 said:

Ah, never come across this before. The bark does look very similar indeed. Although i cant find anything on turning robina, are there tell tale signs when turning it too? Is it any good to turn?

Any advances on robina / laburnum guys?

Turns beautifully, but is hard.

That's definitely Robinia, I've turned a fair bit of this. It's quite a hard wood which polishes up very nicely. Ends up a greenish yellow colour which doesn't appeal to everyone.

Thanks guys. Just splitting it now trying to prevent it splitting, and sealing the ends with parafin wax. If nothing else its wood to practice with as i don't come across it readily so was a great find for me ( was like Christmas, the wife tells me im sad and i keep reminding her she doesn't mind when the bowls appear!!)

Thanks for everyones input.

Woodmonkey":325kkum2 said:
That's definitely Robinia, I've turned a fair bit of this. It's quite a hard wood which polishes up very nicely. Ends up a greenish yellow colour which doesn't appeal to everyone.

Have ypu tried scorching it before finishing? The grain / growtg rings look like they would leave a great finish when scorched?

Same family as Laburnum though (Pea), hence the similar appearance to the timber, though the bark is very different.

Back