What to seal the edge of a veneer door thats been cut?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swampyajc

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I had a guy in to fit some doors for me but he had to cut one short of the veneer to make it fit (Old house).

He said (before he left) I should seal it to stop moisture but never said what to use!

I have some Osmo door oil (Is that enough to seal this or do I need to do someting else first?)

Please can someone let me know what I should use to seal this to stop moisture getting in?

View attachment 144085

Attachments

• door.jpg
    door.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 0
If it is external face then a skim of epoxy with edge banding of the same wood as the face of the door. Otherwise just iron on edge banding will do

Thanks everyone Id never heard of banding but I have just ordered some, to give it a go. I wish people I hired would do proper jobs! lol

Wow, that's an amazing job!

Might be an old house but that's a new lining so surely something better could have been done to make a standard door fit.

Are the hinges chopped into the chipboard edge? Would be better with an Oak edging lath on.

Think I'd be starting again.

I’m going to have this issue. I have what looks like the exact door. The door is too large for the opening and if I trim down, it will go past the oak edge band. I was thinking of taking off the edge, trimming the chipboard and then putting the edge back on. I realise there may be a seen line where it joins but will it be ok using wood glue, clamps and screws to attach the edge back onto the chipboard? It looks like it was glued originally anyway.

Kind Regard… Rob

I’m going to have this issue. I have what looks like the exact door. The door is too large for the opening and if I trim down, it will go past the oak edge band. I was thinking of taking off the edge, trimming the chipboard and then putting the edge back on. I realise there may be a seen line where it joins but will it be ok using wood glue, clamps and screws to attach the edge back onto the chipboard? It looks like it was glued originally anyway.

Kind Regard… Rob

Build a door to suit. Theres f all skill in making one really..

@TRITON yes for some of us making a door to match would not be difficult but making one from scratch in even a decently kitted out workshop is probably a 2 day job, that's after you've spent £300 on the Oak to make it. If you compare that to gluing a couple of Oak laths on the side of an £80 door from Howden Joinery I know which option most people would go for.

@Dynamite in theory you could do what you suggest but I would look at getting two new Oak laths to go on the edges of the door that are slightly wider than the door is thick then you can trim them down to the exact thickness of the door after you have glued them on. What you suggest would work but as they are only the same thickness as the door you will need to line them up exactly and the veneer will only be 0.5mm thick so not much room for sanding level.

I hear what you're saying Doug. But i think i should clarify the type of door i was meaning. It was a bit lax of me not to give the construction i was thinking of at the time.

What I was thinking as a very simple frame, made up in clear pine with half lap construction, and something like veneered 6mm ply or mdf to skin both sides with.

Kind Regard… Rob
Rob if you fancy a trip out to Withernsea I will happily give you a couple oak laths for your door, 8mm thick ,let me know the thickness of your door and i will trim them down sightly oversize for you to glue on and sand/plane flush:)

Rob if you fancy a trip out to Withernsea I will happily give you a couple oak laths for your door, 8mm thick ,let me know the thickness of your door and i will trim them down sightly oversize for you to glue on and sand/plane flush:)
Really appreciate that thanks Mark, such a kind offer. I do have the material already though to be honest it was just more of me thinking about the methodology so it doesnt look like a dogs dinner (or fall off either).

Regards... Rob

Back