what is this /???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hgb

Established Member
Reaction score
IMG_0012.jpg

http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab26 ... _00142.jpg

It's a wooden version of a pine cone (pomme de pin) and at a guess it's used to hold and shake dice!!

Brian

Hi hgb,

Its a nut but I don't know the name.

I have a couple I bought a few years ago and my missus liked them so much as they were she took them to use as display items.

Sorry can't be any moe specific.

Regards,

MikeC

Strip the leaves ( or whatever they are called) off a large cone and you are left with that shape. You can then treat as wood and polish and buff to get the finish. That one has been coloured as well by the look of it.

Pete

Steve Peacock":21l4v9cs said:
A hand grenade that passes undetected through airport metal detectors ?

Hi,Steve, I load it with gold dust # If you press onthe photo bucket code under the picture you can see how I load it
HGB.

Jonzjob":1r10yifq said:
Pomme du pin!!

Failing that, a Spanish footballer called Dammedif Eyeknow?

Hi John. ( I,m) Dammedifeyeknow what Pmme du pin IS?? thanks for reply to my fun subjiect
HGB,

brihol":1ojry1yt said:
It's a wooden version of a pine cone (pomme de pin) and at a guess it's used to hold and shake dice!!

Brian
Hi Brian, Ihave never heard of a(pomme de pin) /? It is just an ornament
Thanks for reply. HGB,

mikec":38aqs3yn said:
Hi hgb,

Its a nut but I don't know the name.

I have a couple I bought a few years ago and my missus liked them so much as they were she took them to use as display items.

Sorry can't be any moe specific.

Regards,

MikeC
Hi Mike C. Thanks for reply , I think it is the outer case or shell of the THIKA nut.
Like your (missus) I thought the shell loked too good to throw away so I capped it with ebony and a screw top lid
Then polished it with brown shoe polish.
HGB.

TheTiddles":2h92hywx said:
It's a fircone, just how they got a finish like that though, I don't know...
Hi Tiddles, I think It`s a THIKA nut , Is that a fircone? I had to be careful cutting the ends to remove kernel,
would you like tosee what I turend from the kernel?

hgb":1v9oaulf said:
brihol":1v9oaulf said:

Brian
Hi Brian, Ihave never heard of a(pomme de pin) /? It is just an ornament
Thanks for reply. HGB,

Pomme = apple. Pin = pine. French name for a pine cone - pine apple or apple of the pine and when you think of it a large pine cone looks just like a pineapple dunnit :p :p :p

My brain 'urts now!

Bodrighy":1qlntmky said:
Strip the leaves ( or whatever they are called) off a large cone and you are left with that shape. You can then treat as wood and polish and buff to get the finish. That one has been coloured as well by the look of it.

Pete
Hi Pete.- Thanks for reply to my fun subject, I do't think it's a pine cone because it's a shell and had a loose nut inside
After capping with ebony it has just been polished with brown shoe polish .

Back