What is this?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pitch pine

Established Member
Reaction score
Is it a 19th century multi tool?

Came out of a chest with other old tools. I have done an internet trawl but could only find the later ones that store bits in the handle. The handle on this is solid mahogany. No name on the handle or the brass.

Well, the end of it is a button chuck as used on an old wooden brace - it will hold a square tapered bit.
But was it adapted from a broken brace, or made new?
Either way, I would put something like a countersink bit in it, or a screwdriver bit.

Andy it looks very well made. The chuck is square but smaller than the old brace chucks I have seen. The brass is recessed into the handle, which is nicely shaped.

I have one of these, and it had a saw blade with it but sadly the other tool had been lost. They were commercially made, and I have seen an 18th century example by John Ryley of Birmingham. this was complete with its original case, and about 6 tools if I remember correctly

An old version of a pad saw perhaps or it may have had various awls to fit. An early multitool makes sense for a person who had to carry all his tools in a bag.

Another couple of photos:

Richard I thought this was a commercially made tool. Just had that look about it. I need to go back to where I bought the tools and look through all the sheds/outhouses to find the bits!

I've found some catalogue pictures which confirm that this is indeed the handle of a commercially made Victorian multi-tool. They are both from a catalogue issued by Timmins of Birmingham, from around 1845 or maybe earlier. This picture shows the basic kit at the top right:

toolkits.jpg

and this one shows the luxury options - leather rolls with 12, 18. 24, 30 of 36 tools in - so get hunting!

toolkit_roll.jpg

A very nice item to have just happened across - everyone will want one now!

Attachments

• toolkits.jpg
    toolkits.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 434
  • toolkit_roll.jpg
    toolkit_roll.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 434
It's a good reminder of the sort of craft skills there used to be, in ordinary workshops.
If I could make one handle to fit one button chuck, with the brasswork neatly set in to the wood, I'd be so pleased with myself. I'd be posting photos on here, expecting compliments.

But the poor old chap who made yours didn't get that - he'd just have to start off on another, then another. He'd have been on piecework and I don't think he'd have got rich on the deal.

"But the poor old chap who made yours didn't get that - he'd just have to start off on another, then another. He'd have been on piecework and I don't think he'd have got rich on the deal."

I have had the same thought about early saw handles.....just so much hand work in them. I have thought about making one (just one mind), but never turned that thought into action!

Back