What is this turning tool intended for?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heimlaga

Established Member
Reaction score
I found this thing cheap at a secondhand shop.
svarvstål.JPG

It is made in England by Marples. The width is 13mm.

What is it intended for? The low bevel angle doesn't look like a scraper.

Attachments

• svarvstål.JPG
    svarvstål.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 1,121
Difficult to see from photo, but looks like std tool that has received a 'home-grind', perhaps for a one off job, but not in wide use I'd suggest!

S

Nev - I don't think they are the same. They did have a fairly small handle and were common in sets (especially Marples) of carbon steel tools 30 - 50 years ago. I never did find out what they were for, but that was usual with sets - there were always tools that you either didn't recognise or recognised and never used. It's only in recent decades that any manufacturer actually consulted turners to find out what they actually used.

i have one in an old set that i was given. never found out what it was, and it will get re-purposed at some point.

Same here, there was one in my Dad's old set of turning tools (he died in 1983) and I've never found a practical purpose for it. It's now in my pile of chisels that will one day get ground into some sort of scraper for something specific.

It's looks like a vee shaped scraper. Used to get them in most of the old carbon steel turning sets. The photo shows the underside of the tool as shown by the tang where it enters the handle.

Looks to me like a diamond point. I gather they can be quite versatile though I've only ever used one as a skew making a planing cut on small work.
ps. Just looked it up in Dunbar's 'Woodturning for Cabinetmakers'. It's on page 24.

I think you are probably right Jim. The metal does look to be thicker than those old carbon steel tools.

The Ray Jones tool doesn't have a tang, just the end rounded so that it can be forced into a pre-drilled hole in the handle.

I never understood why anyone would think its anything other than a half inch skew anyway ...lol..shows how little I know! :)

Back