what is if for please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wildman

Established Member
Reaction score
Whilst sorting my latest lathe accesories I found this and have in idea what it is or what its for. Anyone have an idea? I is 3" in dia and half an inch thick made of Aluminium. Each notch around the circumferance is progressively deeper and all are 90 deg angles. Whe is its purpose what does the cross in the middle do, is it some sort of crude centering device or what. Awaiting relies serious or not with interest.
3c739a0f.jpg

it came with lots of extras and a coronet Major, but don't believe it is original to the lathe. I don't think it is for setting cutter height on the spindle molder or planer.

It looks like some type of span adjuster, but from which part, anyone's guess, I went and looked at schematics on Coronet site, could not see anything obvious though.
Someone will be along who knows exactly what it is, always and expert kicking about somewhere :wink:

Jonzjob":17ska15z said:
Whitworth? I knew his brother. Shame really because he lost the thread, went nuts and made a bolt for it with a washer woman. :roll: Apparently she ws a good lady :wink: :wink:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :twisted:

My first thought was a depth adjuster out of a biscuit jointer, but it seems a little too hefty for that.

Don't know anything about the washer lady?

it does look like a shop bought item rather than a lashup, mind you maybe whoever made it had metalwork shop as well. I have been racking my brains as to a suitable use. The cross in the middle points towards some sort of centering device, maybe to mark the cut outs for various dovetail jaws I'll havve to do that and see what diameters come up but surely anyone would just use a rule.
Where are all the brains.

Wildman":776is1tf said:
Whilst sorting my latest lathe accesories I found this and have in idea what it is or what its for. Anyone have an idea? I is 3" in dia and half an inch thick made of Aluminium. Each notch around the circumferance is progressively deeper and all are 90 deg angles. Whe is its purpose what does the cross in the middle do, is it some sort of crude centering device or what. Awaiting relies serious or not with interest.
3c739a0f.jpg
bump

I suggest you repost the picture on general woodwork, I'm sure you'll find it's a four position depth stop for tool/machine.

Edited for spelling

I do actually know what this is!! It is part of a Coronet back steady, a very crude device that mounted on an upright right angled stem in a hole on one of the saddles. The cross shape is to allow you to move it backwards and forwards and the turned work revolved in the most appropriate V shaped notch. It was never very successful so you are not missing anything by not having the rest of it!! I always new that piece of knowledge would come in handy one day!!

Cheers,

Alan

cheers Alan, will have to look for the upright angled stem now. could well be there someplace and yes it did come with a CORONET lathe, a very rare beast with a 6ft bed (for making standard lamps) hence the need for a steady no doubt though it shows no sign of having been used.

Back