What do you think of this table?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hijack the post but have you seen the new GR website or been to the museum, such a shame the old company is no longer around. We visit the museum and have good connections with some of the old makers and designers. Hands of High Wycombe now own the rights to make the GR designs let’s hope they can keep the name alive.

http://www.gordonrussellmuseum.org/Default.aspx

There is some variation in colour; in ours some bits of red/white oak have crept in I think - but whether that is character or a mess is a question of taste. As is whether you like chunky looking oak furniture in the first place. I do, and I must say that I loathe some of that retro '70s stuff in the e-bay links above; I might just be able to live with some of those as a bench in the potting shed, but I'm not sure ...

I wasn't really making a point about style. I wouldn't buy most of the examples I showed either, though I quite like two of them.

My point was that the examples I showed were of a reasonably high quality when judged by the criteria that furniture has been judged by for centuries. In other words the joinery is well made, tightly fitting and fit for purpose; the timber is of high quality; the design is well proportioned and detailed, has high internal logic, and is well resolved (which has nothing to do with whether we personally like it); the general standard of construction is high; and the finish is appropriate and competently applied.

I have never seen an example of the type of oak furniture under discussion that can tick more than one or two of these boxes. Which is obviously and inevitably the case when you consider the price they are sold at. Quality costs.

Oak tables in a chunky style CAN be of high quality, but not at the sort of prices this stuff is sold at.

Of course most of us can't afford a £1000 dining table, but because of the vagaries of fashion, we don't need to. Those of us who care about quality can have a quality item in a vast number of styles for less than the cost of the low quality imports because values of second hand and antique furniture are so low at the moment. Others can buy the bargain basement new stuff if they like that sort of thing and everyone's happy.

Peter Sefton":1kn2bn8e said:
Sorry to hijack the post but have you seen the new GR website or been to the museum, such a shame the old company is no longer around. We visit the museum and have good connections with some of the old makers and designers. Hands of High Wycombe now own the rights to make the GR designs let’s hope they can keep the name alive.

http://www.gordonrussellmuseum.org/Default.aspx

Thanks for that, Peter, I had no idea the museum existed. It looks like a good dayy out!

Cheers, E.

not least that the company spends more than £3m/year with Google, presumably on AdWords!

Amazing! I wonder how much the search term "oak furniture" costs per click.

Ok, well I've been continuing to keep an eye on ebay - I was thinking about putting in a bit for this one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Soild-oak-ext ... 4170fb2034

It actually looks in reasonable condition as is, but eventually I'd like to get the varnish sorted out. The legs remove, so I guess it doesn't qualify as proper "proper" - but it is apparently solid, no warp and the colour match of the wood looks quite even.

What do people think?

And what do you think the task of stripping the varnish off and refinishing would be like? I'd be a bit concerned about the internal tabletop panels. The edges can be sanded fine, but how does one best get into the seams between the surround and the centre panels?

Cheers!

jeffff":2iwjapjf said:
Peter - what is the significance of the apron rails not being "over deep"? Is a big apron a sign of a poorly made table?

It's the sign of a table that's difficult to get your knees under if you're tall.

:D

BugBear

Latest posts

Back