What do people use for a pen vise

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used both a home made vice and drilled them on the lathe. Think the lathe is probably more accurate.

speanwoody":edmry3lx said:
Hi what do people use for a pen vise when boring the pen blanks, is it bought or home made or on the lathe, can you let me know cheers

I use a pillar drill vice mainly, but that does not centre the blank automatically, so I am in the process of making a couple of wooden plates to make the job easier..

Image LINK

you can also just make the plates and hold together with a quick action hand vice..

As long as the holes on the blocks are vertical they can be v cut or straight - I opted for V cut ;)

I drill my pen blanks on the lathe with the drill bit in the headstock and holding it with a pair of water pump pliers push with the tail stock, works for me.

I spin the blank in the chuck using a brad point bit instead of a centre in the tailstock chuck

Like many others I now mount the blank in a chuck with pin jaws and mount the drill bit in a jacobs chuck in the tailstock. This is a secure and safe method. However when I started turning pens I used a pillar drill with the blank held in the 1.5" vice from stiles and bates.
http://www.stilesandbates.co.uk/product ... FHDPV4_MST

I still think the lathe method is best but this certainly worked. I'm afraid I would never advocate holding the blank by hand even at very slow speed.

I still use the vice to hold the blanks with glued tubes in to square off the ends.

Ray

Hi

This is what I use.

_MG_0298.jpg

Can't remember were I found the plans for it, but it was simple to do. I made it all out of an old MDF cupboard door.

I've drilled all size blanks on this from 13mm square to 25mm and great for batch drilling. I hold the vice to the drill table with some clamps and away you go.

Mark...........

SVB":hsadtnh7 said:
@gitface - you need a new saw blade mate!!!!

:lol:
S

I'd changed it out after doing that, although the blade wasn't that old and it cut fine. This makes me think that the blade was not creating a suitable kerf and the blade was rubbing. I suppose thats what you get for cheap blades.

Mark........

Back