What chucks do you use??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire_frogs

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm at the point where I need to start upgrading kit, I'm using an Axminster club chuck with standard jaws and think I need something betteror larger work. I've been recommended the oneway stronghold but it is very pricey. Another is the Record SC4 which Simon hope uses. I just want to see what you all use to give me an idea what to go for.

Thanks everyone

As you are already in possession of an Axminster chuck would it not be wise to stick to the brand so that any extra accessory jaws you acquire will be cross compatible between all chucks.

I have 5 Axminster chucks and 1 Versa Chuck and can swap accessory jaws between any of them, the Axy, chucks are all older models but are still compatible with current accessory jaws.
chucks.jpg

Attachments

• chucks.jpg
    chucks.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 1,275
My main chuck is the Axminster K10 chuck with a set of O'Donnel jaws, full size medium and little. How big do you want to go because I have turned up to 18" on that chuck with the big jaws. I also have the 24 place indexing ring fitted. Very useful fow more than just indexing.

Lazy Susan all wood-20 a by John, on Flickr

And 36 elm balls for the turn table of the lazy Susan with the little jaws

Lazy Susan all wood-01 a by John, on Flickr

Candle sticks too with the little jaws

Tiny candle sticks-01 a by John, on Flickr

Conplete with removable candles. well you need to put new ones at sometimes, init

Tiny candle sticks-02 a by John, on Flickr

I also use a screw chuck which, I think, is a Record chuck with the screw chuck attachment in it. I have no idea which one as I never change it from the screw and I have had it fro about 20 years. I also have a couple of 4" flat plate chucks that I have screwed a 2" thick piece of beech on to make a hot glue chuck.

I am also very luck in that I have a set, or nearly the set, of 100 + year old box wood/bronze pinch chucks. They were given to me by a dear friend. Not used very often, but when needed they are superb

Box wood pinch chucks by John, on Flickr

I had the adaptor made here in France as they have an unknown thread to me. It was dammed expensive too!

For spindle work I mainly use a 1/2" Steb drive or the Axy 3/4" equivalent. Rarely a 4 prong drive. I don't like them. An Ian Wilkie curtain pull drive too. That's used for all sorts too.

There's more, but I'll stop there.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

2 versachucks (1 New, 1 from the Bay), 1 axminster (Goliath?) new on sale at the axi open day and a Supernova from the Bay.

All work well, though the Supernova tightens by turning to the left, which is no biggie, but a tad counterintuitive and has resulted in me having to faff as I realise I haven't tightened it.

No real need for so many, but just saves changing jaws / accessories too often, (though that really is a first world problem, isn't it?)

Love the look of those vintage chucks. I've never seen such old one, amazing !!!
Great to see the axy chucks are being used and great to see the pics too.
I'm hoping to get up to 24" platters so all this is really helping
With only one chuck I feel pretty hard done by :(

Any of the better Brand Name 100mm chucks should be more than capable of driving a 24" platter with the appropriate accessory jaws.

You and me Bob and I had admired them quietly for a while. Then one day I was visiting my friend and he asked if I would like them? Does a duck swim? :shock: They are so tactile on their own, never mind in use. If you have a job that they don't quite fit then you can turn them to do so, but that doesn't happen for me, if they don't quite fit then I turn a new one. There's NO WAY that I am going to change them!

I needed a pinch chuck when I made 40 curtain rings for the 2 2" X 2 1/2 metre curtain rails. So I turned a chuck to do the job. It's really easy to do and so versitile

Curtain ring pinch chuck 1 by John, on Flickr

Once you have the basics the sky is the limit!

I use a Bison chuck which I am told is one incarnation of the Axminster Super Precision chuck.

It's the one that was with the lathe when I took ownership of it, never added to the collection except for a couple of home-made Longworth-style jobbies for prettying the bottom of bowls.

is there any one chuck that changing jaws sets is easier than on the others- I can guarantee that I always have the wrong set on mine!

I have the small record rp2000 one, which I think is good value and ideal on my jet mini. I would like something that I can put pen jaws onto, so may get another at some point.

Jonzjob":gpnvwiy1 said:
You and me Bob and I had admired them quietly for a while. Then one day I was visiting my friend and he asked if I would like them? Does a duck swim? :shock: They are so tactile on their own, never mind in use. If you have a job that they don't quite fit then you can turn them to do so, but that doesn't happen for me, if they don't quite fit then I turn a new one. There's NO WAY that I am going to change them!

I needed a pinch chuck when I made 40 curtain rings for the 2 2" X 2 1/2 metre curtain rails. So I turned a chuck to do the job. It's really easy to do and so versitile

Curtain ring pinch chuck 1 by John, on Flickr

Once you have the basics the sky is the limit!

Brilliant John :)

I invested in an Axminster Evolution chuck, firstly because of the excellent reviews, and secondly because it was available with both left and right threads to suit my lathe ( union graduate ). I think the reviews are correct, the chuck is very nicely made in stainless steel. I bought a set of O'DONNELL jaws, and a few others, usually when they come up on special offer with Axminster. Changing jaws is a bit of a fiddle, but apart from buying another chuck or two, I can't see a way around it.
The drawback is the cost. I paid £160 just for the chuck ( it is about £180 now). The O'DONNELL jaws were about £75.

I don't seem to find the time to do much turning, so can't say how well it will last, and I don't have another chuck of suitable thread to be able to compare it with. I do have another chuck which is operated by C spanners ( haven't made it fit yet) which looks safer to use in that it doesn't have jaws sticking out. The O'DONNELL jaws help though because it holds the work away from those whirring chuck jaws.

K

Love the look of the Robert Sorby patriot chucks. They look so shiny!! Still not sure what to go for now. Record SC4, sorby patriot or the oneway stronghold. The only thing putting me off the stronghold is the price.

If you like the Sorby then you're better off with the SC4 because it takes exactly the same jaws but has two advantages: Firstly its cheaper and secondly the Record Power SC range has wider than normal jaw carriers which makes for a more sturdy (less vibration) work holding solution.

The SC range was only launched year before last and it's therefore learned many of the lessons and pitfalls from those which came before it. Specifically, Record Power used to market the Nova range from Teknatool and when they designed the SC range, they specifically overcame all the shortcomings of the Nova chucks, notably the jaws tighten with a clockwise turn as you would expect intuitively and as I've said, the fatter jaw carriers. Other than that they're basically a total rip off of the Nova chucks....but cheaper and better.

Personally my chuck journey has followed the evolving work holding needs and my advice would be to start with an all rounder because if you do really take to it, it's inevitable as night follows day that you will buy more chucks. Thus it makes sense to get an all rounder and for that reason my personal choice would be to buy into a given manufacturer and then stick to them because you're buying into a jaw compatibility universe.

So I would plump for either the Axy range because in my view their engineering standards are far higher than anything made in the Far East or the RP SC4 because although manufactured in the Far East they are designed in the UK and quality control is good. Plus all the reasons about fatter jaw carriers etc.

But for sheer out and out quality, it's not possible to better the Axminster range, those stainless steel bodies are very appealing because they don't rust and that's a biggy with chucks in the main. They are more expensive but you really do notice that superior quality.

This advice comes from the following journey:

Started with a Supernova 2 with various different jaws. Got bored changing jaw sets so bought a second compatible chuck cheap from Rutlands one Easter, the 4" Dakota model. That ended up with the Nova cole jaws permanently attached and then I had a near miss with a big hollow form blank so wanted a bigger solution. I ended up buying the new(ish) Axy Evolution at £180 which is the best chuck I've ever used in terms of concentricity and build quality. it's a joy to use and huge so great for big, heavy, out of true work. Then I wanted a tiny weeny chuck for holding apple stems and finials etc so I bought the RP2000 with the pin jaws. Finally out of pure curiosity of the new SC range from RP, I bought (just this May) the SC3 for smaller spindle work. I really like it as a general use, for smaller stuff, lightweight solution that's directly threaded M33 for my lathe.

So I have tried a few across the manufacturers and the Axy is the king for build quality but of course is the most expensive. I think your greatest decision is which manufacturer family to buy into because Axy and all the others aren't cross compatible whereas the Sorby/Nova/SC range are all cross compatible.

If I had my time again I would probably buy all Axy....but only if I had the money....and I'd still but the RP2000 cos its just so lovely :)

:D That's a great help bob,
chucks are so confusing which way to go but slowly I think I'm getting there and I mean slowly.!!

Fire_frogs":mkm94mgh said:
:D That's a great help bob,
chucks are so confusing which way to go but slowly I think I'm getting there and I mean slowly.!!

Yes, I get that. It's taken me years and quite a bit of first hand use to get to know the industry and the different capacities and foibles. But it's that very experience that pushes me to say that the critical choice is "which manufacturer" because get that right and all your follow on jaw choices or indeed other chuck choices remain inside that original choice of family. The advantage being of course the holy grail of cross compatibility with the jaws.

But basically, if you have plenty of budget I'd go Axy, if money's more tight I'd go SC4.

With the Axy choice you're locked into the Axy jaw range which is extensive and beautifully manufactured. With the SC range the manufacturing standards are lower (Axy CNC engineered here in Devon, SC designed here but manufactured in China) but you have access to the jaw ranges of Record, Sorby and Nova (Teknatool). Also with the SC range they're significantly less expensive than the Axy range.

Also bear in mind chucks have a reasonable 2nd hand value so you could expect to recover half or more of your original spend if you did decide you wanted to change direction later. But why go through that when you can make the right call on day 1. Anyway best of luck and let us know how you get on.

Bob,

Would your recommendation change if you had a smaller lathe- if you still had your CL4 for example, or something that had 12" max capacity?

Back