what are CLIFTON doing.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CStanford":3w1e4dqn said:
Huh? Miller 'Lite' is one of the most successful brand launches in brewing history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller_Lite

"Miller Lite was introduced nationally in 1975. Miller's approach worked where the two previous light beers had failed, and Miller's early production totals of 12.8 million barrels quickly increased to 24.2 million barrels by 1977 as Miller rose to 2nd place in the American brewing marketplace. "

Doesn't sound like a disaster to me.

I certainly hope that you aren't claiming knowledge of brand management or marketing.

Who might have written that, I wonder?

When Miller launched Miller light, the combined sales of both the standard and light beers turned out to be less than the standard beer on its own prior to the launch. And they had the extra cost of the launch campaign and the splitting of the production plant, etc.

Miller researched it and discovered that because they'd broken the 1:1 relationship between brand name and product, people had shifted brands.

If it's succeeded now (39 years later, I might point out), it's because tastes have changed long-term. It was held to be a disaster to learn from when I was doing my degree 25 years ago.

Thomas Flinm management must be delighted to be offered so much free business advice, unasked for. Particularly where it comes from people untroubled by access to their accounts, sales figures, costings and the market research that they presumably have done before acquiring Clifton :?

I'm sure they have some issues to face - the Clifton woodworking tools always looked a bit like someone at Clico's hobby product. Such a traditional range that the availability of cheap secondhand Record and Stanley products must limit sales. And losing market share with the loss of outlets like Axminster. I am sure they have thought long and hard about the way forward.

Eric The Viking":1qxp1k6w said:
CStanford":1qxp1k6w said:
Huh? Miller 'Lite' is one of the most successful brand launches in brewing history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller_Lite

"Miller Lite was introduced nationally in 1975. Miller's approach worked where the two previous light beers had failed, and Miller's early production totals of 12.8 million barrels quickly increased to 24.2 million barrels by 1977 as Miller rose to 2nd place in the American brewing marketplace. "

Doesn't sound like a disaster to me.

I certainly hope that you aren't claiming knowledge of brand management or marketing.

Who might have written that, I wonder?

When Miller launched Miller light, the combined sales of both the standard and light beers turned out to be less than the standard beer on its own prior to the launch. And they had the extra cost of the launch campaign and the splitting of the production plant, etc.

Miller researched it and discovered that because they'd broken the 1:1 relationship between brand name and product, people had shifted brands.

If it's succeeded now (39 years later, I might point out), it's because tastes have changed long-term. It was held to be a disaster to learn from when I was doing my degree 25 years ago.

39 years later? It started an entire marketing movement the likes of which have not really been seen since.

Miller Lite, launched in those white-label bottles as well as white cans in early 1975, was an immediate smash, propelling Miller into the No. 2 market-share spot behind archrival Anheuser-Busch, which felt compelled to introduce its own light-beer brand, Natural Light, in 1977. (In January, MillerCoors rolled out Miller Lite in the original white cans to a strong commercial reception. The white-label bottles were replaced in the late 1990s and haven’t been seen since. Not only will they return starting in late August, but MillerCoors spokesman Jonathan Stern emailed that “in October, you will see a new look on all Miller Lite packaging that includes a new bottle.”)

Far beyond the impact on the fortunes of its brewery, Miller Lite birthed the light-beer segment as well as spawned a mini-revolution in American food and drink. Suddenly, everything was light—or lite. “The word skittered across hundreds of new product labels (more than 350 in the first half of the eighties),” the New York Times noted in a 2002 obituary for John Murphy [president of Miller]. “Light became lite and took on a life of its own.”

Sheffield Tony":23hdr8e0 said:
I'm sure they have some issues to face - the Clifton woodworking tools always looked a bit like someone at Clico's hobby product. Such a traditional range that the availability of cheap secondhand Record and Stanley products must limit sales. And losing market share with the loss of outlets like Axminster.
I'd have thought that Quangsheng would have the biggest impact on Clifton sales.

Secondhand Record and Stanleys have always been around, it's those of us looking for something new/better who would be potential Clifton purchasers. But Quangsheng and the new Stanley Sweethart range would be undermining that market (at least for those who can't or won't afford the Clifton/Veritas/Lie-Nielsen prices). A stab in the dark - I'd guess they've reduced Clifton's sales by two-thirds.

Cheers, Vann.

If anything we have sold more Cliftons since Quangsheng came along. There are very few customers who weigh up the two against each other, more often they know exactly what they want and just buy it.

From a retailer's perspective, the problem of getting replacement stock quickly was always more of an issue, which I understand is the first thing that Katie has sunk investment and time into. It was more a mild frustration than anything but the improvement is very welcome indeed.

As for marketing, a ten pager on here isn't a bad start. I'm not sure if the latest post on the new Clifton Planes Facebook page means that they are exhibiting at MITEX or if they have just received an export order, but in either case it's good news.

Have you sold more Cliftons since the announcement of the "colour change"......I would be interested to see if the viral marketing (accidental or deliberate...I care not)...has worked?

The problem is...that without the production issues being solved...promotion of any sort will just exacerbate that problem will it not?

Jim

We used to sell more Clifton's than QS but now we deffinatly sell more WoodRiver than green Clifton.
Most of us are still carrying green stock as the new graphite is still in production. Only time will tell as to how the sales will change after the new planes have been seen in person. One of the first outings will be Harrogate and customers will be able to see both brands along side each other and make up their own minds.
Not only is a big shipment going out to Russia but also just gone out to Australia!

All of this is rather sad to watch....

Can you imagine going into Jaguar and saying...can I have a red one....I find the paint on the green ones rather lumpy and being told they MAY ONLY just have graphite ones soon once they've finished painting the backlog!

Or am I being too simplistic? #-o

Jimi

Un-lumpy green paint isn't available in this day and age. \:D/

Imho Mclaren lost themselves when they changed from the old Orange & White livery. The word Dull comes to mind.

I suspect that it is not the green paint that is lumpy, but that its gloss finish reveals the lumpiness of the casting more so than the less glossy graphite finish.

I'm not convinced that British Racing Green is particularly regarded as a sign of quality throughout the world these days. To me, that glossy green, taken with the steel and bits of brass bling has the look of something from the age of steam. The graphite looks much more contemporary. I like it. But I have enough old Record planes, which still work fine. Just so long as they don't mess with their irons, which are rather special and fit the old Records quite nicely.

Sheffield Tony":1hnjvsrm said:
I suspect that it is not the green paint that is lumpy, but that its gloss finish reveals the lumpiness of the casting more so than the less glossy graphite finish.

I'm not convinced that British Racing Green is particularly regarded as a sign of quality throughout the world these days. To me, that glossy green, taken with the steel and bits of brass bling has the look of something from the age of steam. The graphite looks much more contemporary. I like it. But I have enough old Record planes, which still work fine. Just so long as they don't mess with their irons, which are rather special and fit the old Records quite nicely.

Oh boy Tony...this has so much mileage you can't believe....lumpy castings indeed...it only gets better!

Perhaps they should get a few kilos of Java in and have a chat about that aspect of the finish! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I guarantee that there will be a raft of posts from "Mr Angry of Tunbridge Wells".... Clifton owners aghast at your suggestion of lumpiness upon the casting! :wink:

LOL!!!

I am loving this thread on so many levels! :mrgreen:

Jimi

What a load of tosh and spitefulness or shall we be kind can it playground banter, about Clifton? To run down the name of a British manufacturer like some have on this thread is shameful and probably by persons who have never used a Clifton plane.
I have Clifton planes and the casting is great and I can find no lumpiness in the paint. I BELIEVE they are a great British made tool and am pleased they are still being made here in the UK when so many great British name/brand tools are now made in the far east and are real rubbish.

jimi43":30xxgp5k said:
I guarantee that there will be a raft of posts from "Mr Angry of Tunbridge Wells".... Clifton owners aghast at your suggestion of lumpiness upon the casting! :wink:

How right you are :lol:

Not about the lumpiness of the castings just the willingness of some to who have probably never used a Clifton to run down a British company by silly comments

Sheffield Tony":6o1romka said:
jimi43":6o1romka said:

How right you are :lol:

There ya go!! :mrgreen:

I seem to remember that is was the company themselves who brought the issue of lumpiness up...

"We decided on a colour change due to the quality of paint work. If you check out your green ones, you will note they often look lumpy. This is not a finish we liked or preferred so the simple colour change was NOT thought out round a table whilst drinking coffee (I have never drunk a cup of coffee, nor do I ever plan on)."

But there ya go...

Jimi

Back