Western Red Cedar Supplier

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garethharvey

Established Member
Reaction score
Struggling to find a supplier for Westerd Red Cedar. Had a quote from Monmouth timber this afternoon which is about 3 times the price from other suppliers.

Only issue is the size. Lookin for 100mm X 100mm finished (planed) posts.

co2 timber is the best price but would have to kill dry it special which would take around 8 weeks

Would anyone have any suggestions?

I have just got a lot of quotes in.
CO2 is English Cedar - I got a lot of sawn boards last year that I used for cladding but they are very knotty ( a feature of English Cedar).
I've just had a good quote from Brooks and amazingly they'll plane the boards up for only about a 2% premium!! Amazing (I think they have just got a lot of new kit at their Nottingham branch - my local - and maybe they like playing with it!).
Really helpful too. I looked at their grade 2 with 15% #4 and I couldn't really see any knots - good quality stuff.
They are getting 75mm boards, so maybe they can get 100mm
Their price didn't seem that much more than what CO2 charged me last year if I recall properly.
The other place that seemed quite good (at least for getting the sizes) is Southgate timber (on special order).
Let me know how you get on.
Nick

How many posts are you getting? What lengths? If it isn't many.........
I see you are in Wales and I am in Nottingham but if their delivery charge is really high - maybe I could add them to my order (get them cheaper for you too as I'm spending over £2k) maybe get a courier. Think about it.
Nick

Have you tried International timber at Parkend or Lathams in Bristol.

Planed 100mm posts will finish at 95mm or 90mm unless you want to start with 5" timber.

Thanks Guys, will contact them all in the morning.

The posts can be 95mm, the size is not critical on them.

Nick: My glasshouse come down on Wednesday so I have a major rebuild and will now be looking for around 300mts of 3X2 cedar as well. Thanks for the offer of adding on to your order.

Back