Wenge or not

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Togalosh

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello Gents,

I'm on a bit of a roll it seems as I've been asked for another quote (I've only just got my first real commission - for 3 pieces !).. however as life is never easy there's a problem - the prospective customer wants a cabinet made of Wenge.

I read that this is an endangered species, toxic/allergenic & if it comes from Congo then the proceeds are more than likely to be funding all manner of extreme nastiness.... so what to do?

Do I explain all this & offer alternative ? Can you suggest one that is sustainable & guilt free?
Sell my soul & just get on with it ?
Can you even buy it in the UK ?

I have a huge 'beam' of Jarrah that I could mill but that is nowhere near similar...

What would you do/have you done in this situation?

Thanks
Togs

No really heard what you say about wenge. I see your in Birmingham. Give these a call http://www.associatedtimber.co.uk/produ ... vices.html

If you buy from proper merchants thats registered with the proper bodies there are regulations to trading in timber which must be met so your safe in the knowledge that its legal to get it from them and your not aiding what ever it is you have heard. If it is however and that company is lying (I can vouch of the one I have linked to) then you don't know so there can not be any guilt :D

phil.p":cy4m7120 said:
It'd be good to find an alternative, if only for the fact that it is extremely beastly stuff to work. Do your body a favour and persuade your customer to accept something else!

Hello Phil,

Beastly on health or to actually work?

..I'm a beginner & just getting closer to good with Oak so any more difficulty with working would have me in a bit of bother.

Hudson Carpentry":gwjm6y5f said:
No really heard what you say about wenge. I see your in Birmingham. Give these a call http://www.associatedtimber.co.uk/produ ... vices.html

If you buy from proper merchants thats registered with the proper bodies there are regulations to trading in timber which must be met so your safe in the knowledge that its legal to get it from them and your not aiding what ever it is you have heard. If it is however and that company is lying (I can vouch of the one I have linked to) then you don't know so there can not be any guilt :D

If Cod is endangered & you can buy it at any chippy & I've seen Elephant on a restaurant menu (not in Brum though) then I don't doubt you can get whatever endangered thing you want - it just commands a higher price. It just doesn't sit comfortbly with me...

I'm also not getting insider info from a foreign correspondent about bad men trading Wenge but it if it's worth a lot of money then they are sure to be selling it.

Have you used it? if so what's your opinion of it - as a timber that is?

Never used it. Sorry.

My point is whether endangered or not, if the FSC (or which ever foundation) saw it as so they would limit the trading of so and any company part of there membership would have to comply with there regulations. Associated timbers are not the type to illegally buy timber and are part of 6 different bodies I believe http://www.associatedtimber.co.uk/environmental.html. They wouldn't sell it if the powers that be thought it be in the best interest of the species to be left alone. Skyes also sell it, Brooks bros is another. All im saying is on the endangered note, I don't think you need to worry.

Brooks Bros give you some info on its workability http://www.brookstimber.com/specialitywoods.php

I made a gun box for a customer that wanted it in wenge. Box and draw construction as standard then veneered using wenge. Had no real problems other than the grain opening up once dry.

Deadly splinters from the stuff. I use it for bass guitar neck laminations, and jewelry from offcuts. Loads of silica content, prepare to sharpen plane blades.

Hi, Chaps

I have a nice plank of Wenge waiting for a project, seems it might be waiting a bit longer if its that bad to use.
I did make these for my wife.
DSC_0017.jpg

Pete

I'm afraid I would never use Wenge again after some very nasty experiences using it many years ago - Working in some when I was in my twenties I found that I lost co-ordination while turning it and started feeling extremely dizzy and nauseous.

It is truly horrendous stuff in my opinion and I will never us it again!

It is beautiful wood and I've used it on several smaller projects. Like the rest of the crew has said, it can really splinter if you're not careful. It's also heavy...a cabinet made of wenge? I hope it's not too big. I made some small boxes last year and the wenge ones were noticibly heavier than any of the other species in the same sized box.

As for a replacement timber to use, what about American black walnut?

Its certainly easier on the tools ect and looks stunning if you choose your boards carefully to get a good colour match

If your customer is dead set on Wenge, then why not cheat a little and go with Veneered ply and just put solid Wenge on the edges

As for supply, well the Veneered ply wouldn't be to hard to come by, and solid Wenge is supplied by SL Hardwoods, as well as many other Hardwood suppliers, its just damn expensive at around the £90 cuft if i'm not mistaken...

Hope this helps

Andy

Hell.. it sounds horrendous !

.. knowing my luck I'd come off second best in both health & finance (finance because I tend to need a lot more material than what the finished product is actualy made)...I'll offer American Walnut.

Pete - that jewellery is beautiful !

Thanks for all your replies - much appreciated.

Togs

I think that most of the Wenge being sold in the UK is from Cameroon and it is also found in West Africa too - I bought some back with me from Togo and have been fortunate not to have problems with it.

If any of those who seem to hate it with a passion have some that they want to be shot of I'll gladly take it off your hands and will only charge you a nominal amount for disposal.

Steve

Another alternative could be fumed oak if the customer is looking for a dark timber, walnut tends to mellow to much lighter shade

Snap!

As some of the Wenge furniture sold on the high street is actually stained Oak, have you considered as an alternative heavily fumed Oak? very similar grain texture and with the fuming would be the same kind of colour.

Back