Weekend woodturning..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PowerTool

Established Member
Reaction score
After spending most of my spare time in the last three months being involved in a house renovation,finally managed to get some time with the lathe this weekend.

Daughter and future son-in-law have just been down,so as last time I was there,he gave me an offcut of solid oak worktop,thought I would make something out of it for him :-

Picture011Small.jpg

It's 300mm diameter,45mm high,finished in foodsafe oil.

Then made some tealight holders - a large one as a one-piece :-

Picture017Small-1.jpg

Picture020Small.jpg

Holly,150mm diameter,65mm high,finished in lemon oil.

And some smaller ones :-

Picture012Small.jpg

Yew,approx 100mm long,50mm high,cut surfaces finished in lemon oil.

And then a bowl :-

Picture021Small.jpg

Picture022Small-1.jpg

Picture024Small-1.jpg

Ash,210mm diameter,90mm high,finished in foodsafe oil

Seems far too long since I made much on the lathe,so have really enjoyed every minute of it :D

Andrew

wow they are all great, but my favourites are the yew log tee lights, they would go a storm at christmas.
did you use a face plate to turn them?

Glad you have had a good weekend at the lathe Andrew :D
Love em all.Great idea with the tea lighters on the branch wood,like the shape of the Oak bowl,and the colour/shape of the Ash.
So keep em coming :D
How did you hold the tea lighters :?:

It's a great feeling getting back on the lathe isn't it Andrew, been able to spend a few hours in the shed myself this week and it is so relaxing after the constraints of must-do tasks.

Like the Potpourri candle holder, will pinch that idea as a gift with matching scented candles.

Andrew , like them all ,

but love the ash bowl :p

rugged , nice share and grain pattern and the 2 grooves don't look out of place :wink:

Allen

Thanks for all the comments.

stevebuk":1s5raetv said:
wow they are all great, but my favourites are the yew log tee lights, they would go a storm at christmas.
did you use a face plate to turn them?

Hi Steve - whole yew branch cut roughly to size,then decide which bit is going to be the underside and drill a hole for the screwchuck (I had a couple of spacers on so the hole doesn't need to be too deep)
Turn the hole for the glass tealight holder (Paul - they just sit in,not fastened,just a "nice" fit) then used the point of the skew to make a reference mark on both wings before going to the bandsaw.
Trim the base off to get a flat surface and remove the hole from the screwchuck,then trim the wings off at the reference marks to end up with the tealight in the middle.
Quickly sand the base on the belt sander to make sure it's flat,and a quick wipe with lemon oil.
15 minutes a piece maximum.

Andrew

PowerTool":104xkxtj said:
Thanks for all the comments.

15 minutes a piece maximum.

Andrew

wow, that is a brilliant idea, i will jot this down for future reference, just got get me a few logs.
Can this be done with green wood, or is dry better.

Well done Andrew, nice to see you back turning
something, the log candle holders are a brilliant
idea. :D
I was lucky enough to have Andrew visit me a
couple of weeks ago and he brought me a car
boot full of wood for turning, i got - sweet chestnut,
laburnum, yew, beech, spalted silver birch,holly,
plum and eucalyptus (thanks once again
Andrew). Up till now all i've had is pine :lol: so this
is like my x-mas arriving early, although i did manage
to get some hawthorn recently which is drying out,
plus some cherry branches which i've pruned from the
garden. Once i've had the neck/shoulder surgery there will
be no stopping me :lol: . I hope i am well enough to try the log
candle holders as a present for my mam for
x-mas as she will love them.

Thanks for the explaination Andrew :D
I did mean how to hold the branch,as you have explained :oops:
How much of the screwchuck did you use :?:

Paul.J":lcv30qaw said:
How much of the screwchuck did you use :?:

I have this screwchuck to go with the "C" jaws,a couple of oak psacers on,so 15mm max ?

stevebuk":lcv30qaw said:
Can this be done with green wood, or is dry better.
Did one in green yew (as I have lots.. :wink: ) - the timbers a bit softer round the mounting hole,and it's starting to check slightly on the cut ends;so it works on green timber but I prefer seasoned.

Andrew

Managed some workshop time again this weekend :D

Made some more fruit:-

Picture045Small.jpg

apple in padauk,approx.70mm diameter,waxed,and pear in tulip,approx.100mm high,70mm diameter,waxed.

Then a request from a work colleague - an ornamental dummy for a friend who is expecting..
Picture046Small-1.jpg

..maple,50mm diameter,55mm high,waxed - hole through it is so it can be hung on a piece of ribbon.

Then a little Christmas tree to use up the leftover maple,and an excuse to open my trial pack of Chestnut spirit stains..

Picture050Small.jpg

..then finally got round to having a go at the piece of soapstone I was given about a year ago and haven't known what to do with :oops:

Picture055Small.jpg

drilled a hole in the bottom,superglued some oak in,and drilled the oak to mount it on a screwchuck.
Shape is just how it evolved - made me think of a volcano,so used an orange tealight (currently in Aldi) to add to the look..

Picture057Small.jpg

Base is 100mm x 80mm,and about 80mm high,gave it a coat of aerosol lacquer.

Then tried out a design idea - the theory was a candle holder that looked like a goblet,that had holes drilled in to let rays of light out when the candle burnt down..

Picture065Small-1.jpg

..sycamore,65mm diameter,185mm high.Not convinced if I like it,so have just given it a coat of sanding sealer whilst I see if the idea grows on me or not :?

Then a fruit bowl for someone at work..
Picture061Small.jpg

Picture070Small.jpg

..spalted beech,250mm diameter,50mm high,waxed.

After tea,going to have a tidy up to make space for my new toy:-

Picture067Small.jpg

variable speed scrollsaw (combined birthday/Christmas present off my ex-wife)

Andrew

Very nice Andrew :D
I think i would have made the base bigger on the tea lighter goblet.
Looks as if it will topple over.
Nice new toy by the way :D

Sorry Andrew " no no's for me here

The soapstone , at first I thought you were going to say it broke on the lathe and some bits flew off :?

And I agree with PaulJ regarding the goblet , stem to thick base diameter to small

Love the fruit , think I will have a go at that when I get time :roll: so many things to turn and so little time to do them all

Spalted bowl nice as well hope the recipients like it :lol:

Lastly

Wish I had a X wife like yours all my one did for years was give me grief :? :p :p :p

Back