Wealden 3 Wing Surfacing Trim Bit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkljosh

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks

I'm looking to flatten the sides of some big slabs using a router sledge running between some 6x2 "rails". before finishing them with hand tools. Does anyone have any experience with the Wealden 3 wing surfacing trim bit which seems like the logical choice for something like this. Might be a bit pricey, but I suspect it'll do a better job than a large diameter straight 2 flute. Your thoughts would be welcomed.

Cheers
John

I bought one of those cutters but decided the shank was too short to be of much use in my surfacing jig so I exchanged it for the Six Wing Surface Trimmer which has a 70 mm shank. When I last used it the surface finish on the wood was excellent and only needed minimal sanding to remove the swirly marks.

Mark (who's just remembered he's got a Wealdens credit note to spend!)

I've got the six-wing one.

Last used it on some English oak, around 4' x 9" It worked very well, made surprisingly little mess and gave a good finish. It did need sanding to clean up, but I think that had more to do with me not making a totally rigid sled. I used the fence bars on the T11 sliding on two bits of square steel tubing, on two bits of 2x2 on the bench. I think the springiness was in the T11's fence bars, and I could have used a lighter touch, possibly.

I've also used it to clean up tenon cheeks - worked very well for that (you still have to finish right into the corner with the shoulders with a plane or chisel).

E.

Thanks for all the input guys, really useful. Interestingly I've got one of the 6 wing surfacing cutters, but thought it might be a bit flimsy for what I'm intending to use it for - surfacing some 9 ft long by 24 inch by 2 1/4 inch burr elm boards that I plan to book match for a dining table. LOL, they're too wide to go through my planer in one! I now find myself in a qunandry - go for the beefier 3 wing or risk wearing out my lovely 6 wing, that I've used for all sorts of things! :lol: :? Suspect I'll end up spending hard earned ££ what ever the outcome!

Either way, thanks for your helpful contributions.

Cheers
John

Eric The Viking":3fwgde4q said:
I used the fence bars on the T11 sliding on two bits of square steel tubing, on two bits of 2x2 on the bench. I think the springiness was in the T11's fence bars, and I could have used a lighter touch, possibly.

My current sled is made from 18mm European Oak, so it's plenty strong enough but the thickness does limit the depth of cut. For Mk II I've bought two 5x50 mm lengths of ground flat stock for when I eventually get round to building it!

Mark

Back