Waste/ Old Recyled Work Bench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uk woodman

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys Thought id throw this one in the Mix, nearly finished my new work bench, I made this from wood that was destined for the tip or the fire! I cant believe the waste that people throw away, most of my friends and people in general laugh at me when they see me rummaging through a skip (yeah I'm a skip rat) It's a habit that's genetic I reckon, I spent many hours and good times walking with my Grandad who was a Retired Master Cabinet Maker walking down the cop of the river dee looking for drift wood de-nailing and drying it out for use again, I don't walk the river any more but there are still treasures a plenty out there, just got to finish the centre shelving and the back now.

These are the ways I sorced the materials

friends old dinning table
barn extension off cuts
dumped bed,
thrown out desk
vices from a car boot sale

P130510_1615_01.jpg

Bench5.jpg

Bench2.jpg

Nice looking bench, its great to see another scavenger at work. I have a shed full of useful stuff, the trouble is mine is spilling into the house and domestic harmony is suffering.

James

Good use of re-claimed materials, I think the right hand vise could of gone on the right hand end and become a tail-vise with a series of dogs holes along the bench, but other than that small gripe, an excellent bench, well done.

Very nice looking workbench and an excellent use of "waste" materials. How long will it be before you drill in to that lovely polished top to create a series of do holes? ;-)

OPJ":1l3qonmq said:
Very nice looking workbench and an excellent use of "waste" materials. How long will it be before you drill in to that lovely polished top to create a series of do holes? ;-)

I know just what you mean, its all just a matter of time, it will have a cover for the top when it has to be used for more demanding work but I do have the use of other benchs to do all my heavier work on, it was also part of an exercise to show some of the students I take how our natural materials needs not to be wasted quite so much.

Best Regards, Tim

mtr1":10wv4wad said:
Good use of re-claimed materials, I think the right hand vise could of gone on the right hand end and become a tail-vise with a series of dogs holes along the bench, but other than that small gripe, an excellent bench, well done.

Thanks for input, good idea about the tail vice, there is a reason for not putting the vice on the right side and a series of dogs in the bench which will be reviled in the next couple of updates, that might interest you, I'll update this as soon as I get round to finding more time do do more.

Regards Tim

Great use of re-cycled wood. Fine looking bench will gives many years of service. =D> =D>

My own re-cycled workbench was made from a pine headboard (£1 at auction), a pine bed frame (£2 at auction), (yes I know there's a lot of pine here - but it works!) a kitchen worktop offcut (skip) and a dressing table set of drawers (skip). The whole thing weighs 2 or 3cwt.

Dave

Sportique":15ltzvx7 said:
Great use of re-cycled wood. Fine looking bench will gives many years of service. =D> =D>

My own re-cycled workbench was made from a pine headboard (£1 at auction), a pine bed frame (£2 at auction), (yes I know there's a lot of pine here - but it works!) a kitchen worktop offcut (skip) and a dressing table set of drawers (skip). The whole thing weighs 2 or 3cwt.

Dave
It just show Dave, that with a bit of Imagination and planning, most things that most people generally throw away, we as word workers/crafts man, can find a use or adapt it to suite our needs if we want to, it never ceases to please me hearing, story's like your own, sound to be you got a bargain at the auctions mate, any pics?

Great Bench Dave and stunning Value for money, Good work, are you going to keep us all informed of any new projects in the future? I'm always interested in all projects however large or small :mrgreen: (hammer)

Back