Washing machine cabinet vibration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckeye

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been asked by a friend to make a cabinet to fit their washing machine into in their kitchen to hide it from view. Just wondering if anyone has any tips as the kitchen has a tiled floor but sounds hollow beneath and when the washing machine is on full spin is was vibrating quite a lot. Will be normal cabinet construction and adjustable feet. I can secure well to the wall on two sides. I was just thinking of using pieces of leather or router mat on the feet and back and side spaceplugs to try and dampen the vibrations. Anyone done anything like this before or have any ideas please?

Thanks,
Richard

Last edited:
Could yo do it so that the machine is still sat on the floor and the sides back etc do not actually come into contact with washer :unsure:.Something to dampen the vibrations on the washer feet will help:)

I'd leave the machine on the floor and build around it I think. The machine is likely vibrating becase it wasn't set up correctly and just pushed into a hole and left to dance around. Even saying that sometimes the floor its on isn't helping and you might not be able to fix it.

I think I would ask for more information about the washing machine. How old is it? Has it always vibrated that much? Could it have developed a fault (failing main bearing, broken suspension spring ...) that is causing it to vibrate so much? Perhaps your friend should tackle that issue first.

I would also prefer to build a false front to the machine area rather than house the machine in a cabinet. It will make machine maintenance a lot easier, especially if you make it so the false front is easy to remove to allow unrestricted access as at present. Also this would maintain maximum space around the machine which may be appreciated when it eventually dies and its replacement is - by sod's law - a bit bigger than the existing machine.

Washing machines vibrate, even if they are set up properly if you spin a load of towels it will want to go for a walk.

Old washers had thumping great lumps of concrete fixed inside the cabinet and weighed a lot. Modern ones (as in last 20 years or so) don't, they normally have lightweight dampers between drum mechanism and chassis which work fine but the lighter weight means the cabinet is more likely to want to move.

Boxing in strikes me as bonkers, all my white goods are simply floor standing in 60cm wide under counter spaces, they look fine and it's easy to access and replace - a good kitchen will last far longer than an appliance. You also need access round the back from time to time to check or deal with leaks and drips and maybe clear the water inlet filter, and of course empty and clean the pump filter which on most is very low down at the front.

My sister in law moved into a house with a fancy all-enclosed fitted kitchen, washer, fridge freezer all well shot and it was a real pain and extra expense to source things of the exact right dimensions, fit them and get all the door covers etc. working properly. Grrrr.

I did once raise a washing machine when my ageing mother had trouble bending down - a few inches made all the difference. I used 4 concrete blocks laid on their side as a base. Maybe you could do that - bottomless cupboard and a plinth to hide the blocks.

Better still, instead if building a cabinet, offer to train them in industrial design appreciation so they value the functional beauty of good washing machine. Hiding in cupboards is so last century.

Ahh, so the advice is to tell them that they in fact don't want the machine hidden.

Gold.

I'd not put mine IN a cabinet because it weighs 90 kgs and you need to get to machines sometimes. I completely understand wanting one hidden though.

The machine could be wobbling for so many reasons.

Damping is a fun one, if you get it wrong not only do you not help, you can make it a lot worse. However I’d not overthink this one too much, a modern washer will stop and rebalance if it’s too vibrant, the floor may resonate, it may not, you’d have to do a lot to stop that.
Aidan

As Just4Fun. The problem is with the machine. An uncle of mine was a production manager many years ago and one of his lines manufactured washing machines. Due to the inherent loads produced they do want to move about. First step was to put a big lump of concrete in the cabinet during manufacture. The mass absorbs the vibrations and the weight holds it in place. Second thing is NEVER underload. It is the worse thing you can do. The machine cannot run balanced like this. Believe it or not you want to run it at its maximum load.

Colin

I'd agree with Richard but if they really want it doing, I'd use the method Mark suggested.
If the floor is hollow underneath that really isn't going to help with vibration, so I'd keep the cabinet sides, door, etc away from the washer.

When I was apprenticing, I helped my 'teacher' do a garage conversion. He brought the floor up to the same height as the house with joists and chipboard flooring. Packed out to stop any bounce and it was fine. Even in my apprentice state of 'knowing nothing', I suggested a concrete pad for the white goods. Think I was told to 'go away' :unsure:

First time the washer was used it was dancing around the room:D Not sure how he remedied it as I told him 'go away' when he asked me to go back with him.
Not the wisest decision with a year left on my time.

When I have a problem like this, I usually adjust the feet of the machine when it is running/spinning. Use the out of balance to tell you which foot needs to be adjusted. When you adjust it static, you think it's OK, but when running, you can fine tune the feet, perhaps by a quarter turn to tighten up the feet. Feel the interface between the foot and the floor to see if there is movement.

Installed this yesterday. After the advice left it on the floor and you can remove the bottom skirting and filler as one piece with a couple of screws. Thanks for the advice... I think it was best to put it on the floor just, glad I posted to ask. I think they are going to replace the washing machine due to the vibration issue.

wm.jpg
wm2.jpg
wm3.jpg

Neat and sensible. Nice job.

Tell them that to save a few £££ they can keep the machine but use scissors to cut diamond shaped holes out of all their clothes, towels and bedding. Lose about 40% of the fabric and the machine won't vibrate as much. :)

(or not)

Back