Warning -- New Speed combatting measures in U.S.A.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timberfreak

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone contemplating a visit to the U.S. should acquaint themselves with the latest technology being employed in the fight against the rising tide of illegally speeding drivers.

HAVE A LOOK AT THIS VIDEO -- watch to the end where you will see the new technology in use.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The signs were all over California when we were there a few months ago and I admit to being more than a little sceptical though I did find myself glancing skywards on occasions - great stuff

Bob

The are real -- not Apaches but fixed-wing aircraft with gyro-stabilised cameras and radar guns. They're too far back and too high to be easily seen by the driver. I've got Californian friends who've been caught in the past. :-(

I think the idea in the video would be very effective, although the revenue from fines would be smaller.

Eric The Viking":1inacx3j said:
The are real -- not Apaches but fixed-wing aircraft with gyro-stabilised cameras and radar guns. They're too far back and too high to be easily seen by the driver. I've got Californian friends who've been caught in the past. :-(

I think the idea in the video would be very effective, although the revenue from fines would be smaller.

I don't think they have radar. What is (or at least used to be) used is a stop watch and marks on the highway. Go past too many marks in a set period time, you're speeding. A quick radio message to the cop car on the ground, and you're pulled over and given the ticket, with the recording as evidence if you want to go to trial.

Kirk

Yeah we have the markings too don't know how often they are used though (the white squares on main roads)

Those signs were all along the empty highways in California and Arizona when I was there around 25 years ago. They didn't spot me doing 80 everywhere.

The white squares on our roads are mainly used by the police to calibrate their speedos.

Rod

I think air-to-ground missiles is the way forward. Apart from the mess on the road, it would definitely make the roads a safer place for those of us who do not wish to drive everywhere at 20mph above whatever the speed limit is for any particular stretch of road!!

henton49er":1zepxznl said:
I think air-to-ground missiles is the way forward. Apart from the mess on the road, it would definitely make the roads a safer place for those of us who do not wish to drive everywhere at 20mph above whatever the speed limit is for any particular stretch of road!!

Wouldn't be able to drive at more than 20mph due to the resulting potholes from the misiles :lol: :lol:

whiskywill":xyrib7mi said:
Does anybody know what the low pyramid shaped squares of metal, which are common on our roads, are used for?

. . . you mean apart from making the road surface even more treacherous for motorcyclists when it's wet! :evil:

whiskywill":1weads3r said:
Does anybody know what the low pyramid shaped squares of metal, which are common on our roads, are used for?

In the spirit of international equality they are road signs for Egyptians!! :!:

monkeybiter":1530r6cm said:
Those signs were all along the empty highways in California and Arizona when I was there around 25 years ago. They didn't spot me doing 80 everywhere.

Mike- Your name is on a list. Do not enter this country again unless you have changed your fast and loose ways. Signed--Big Brother :D :twisted: :D

Travis (hammer)

Harbo":1vlml2cz said:
The white squares on our roads are mainly used by the police to calibrate their speedos.

Rod

Where on earth did you get that info from? Speedos are calibrated on rolling roads.

Richard

My Land Survey Team used to set them out for the Police.
Calibration is perhaps the wrong word but used as a simple way to check their speedos?
With the advent of cheaper hand held cameras, the markers are rarely used to time vehicles over them?

Rod

thomvic":1juoqz6i said:
Harbo":1juoqz6i said:

Rod

Where on earth did you get that info from? Speedos are calibrated on rolling roads.

Richard

Not calibrate speedos but as part of system called VASCAR - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VASCAR

I know 'cos I got done many moons ago with plod driving a Vauxhall Senator (remember those? LOL)

Dibs

There are similar warnings in this country. The A6 near Matlock has them warning about speed monitoring by helicopter.
S
PS Brilliant bit of filming.

Yes they are, or were, calibration for Police speedos.

More by way of a quick check, I suspect, but I've been told that by several police officers independently. The observer (passenger) did it with a stopwatch and compared against the speedo reading. They were on straightish bits of road to make it easier to do a constant speed.

Of course, being right at just one speed isn't a calibration though.

Latest posts

Back