WANTED: Lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dovetail2007

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I think I'll have a go at turning, and have been doing some research.
It's looking like I'll get the APTC Perform CCSL lathe - anyone here got any hands on advice on what it's like? It gets good reviews, but you know what reviewers are like sometimes ;)
I'm only looking to do small bowls really, maybe some spindle turning (goblets or similar) but not really taken by the whole pen thing, although I suppose I might be in the future.
The CCSL comes with the bed extention, which I guess is handy for if I want to do some longer spindle turning, though I really can't think what I'd want to do at the length they go upto (39"...)

So my two questions:
1) Does anyone have any experience with this machine
2) Does anyone have another lathe which would be good for me, that they would like to sell, in the CCSL sort of pricerange (£100 ish)?

Cheers,

Sam

Sam,

I have moved this in to the turning forum, I think you will get a better response here. :D
(They are into spinny things :roll: )

Welcome Sam,

I, and a few others, have the CCL or the CCSL lathes. Have a look at the Owners Lathes thread on this section to see who. Generally they are good for the money. They can get their problems but with good maintenance they are capable of doing some really good work Have a look at CHJ's gallery, the early stuff was all turned on one of these lathes
Happy hunting and turning

Pete

Hi Sam - as Pete said,several of us on here have Perform lathes of various models ; they aren't perfect,but they are excellent value for money,and Axminsters aftersales service is excellent :D

Andrew

Hello Sam.
I would just say that after having the Record DML24,i don't think i could do without the variable speed change.Makes life a whole lot easier,and quicker.
But whatever you decide to buy just enjoy :D
Paul.J.

Hey up, Sam,

I have the CCSL having had a Delta version of the CCL for some years. It's very solid, very heavy, a total PITA changing speeds using the belts when you've been used to variable speed (but I knew that), the locking levers are pretty lousy and will probably need replacing with decent ones but overall I think it's really very good for the lettuce. The turning types will wisely point out the size limitations which you may find irritating quite quickly, but on the plus side it doesn't have to take up as much workshop room as a larger lathe. I haven't used the extension bed so can't comment on it.

Cheers, Alf

Sam, my only caveat, which Alf has already referred to is the lack of variable speed, I have found that adjusting the speed has become an automatic function in my approach to turning and could not imagine me adapting to the interruptions of belt changing during process changes or tasks.

Back