Wanted: dry oak 4x4s, Hampshire

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigerturnings

Established Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine is after having a table built and is looking to get hold of some solid, seasoned 4"x4" oak for the legs. I've talked to a couple of local timber merchants and they don't want to go up to that dimension in seasoned oak. Does anyone know a supplier that might have some available, ideally within a reasonable drive from Southampton?

TIA

Neil

And another good thing about making up the legs from smaller stock is that you can select the kind of figure that will appear on the legs, even to the extent of having quarter sawn figure appear on all four sides of the legs.

What a shame that you live in Hampshire, I have a slab of 4" 6 feet long 18" wide, to buy wood this thick cost the earth, around £90 a cubic foot, I think you would be best to laminate it.

Here you go:

leg04a.jpg

leg05a.jpg

TopLegTenon-1.jpg

From thisamazing thread by lucky9cat

4x4 oak is available dried, it is just a matter of being careful that it has been dried properly.

You could try EC Forrest 01825 872025. I think they are trade but will probably sell a piece or two if you collect it. They are on the A22 North of Eastbourne. Don't know how far that is from you. I've never actually used any from them but they have offered me 4" Kiln dried squares in the past. Probably wont be cheap though.

I usually glue two 2x4's together, but that's because we are using american white oak at the moment.

If you do glue up the best glue I have found for the oak is Bison Timber Max. Get very few problem with glue lines opening up with that one. If you glue 2x4's sand the faces lightly with a coarse grade paper across the grain, helps the glue soak into the timber, and completely cover both faces with a very thin layer of glue. This gives a very reliable joint.

Johnny B

Back