Wake up call....or what?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brad - not having a go at all, have had marvellous holidays in the States and Canada, fantastic country, wonderful people, so I do appreciate that the problems that exist in that part of the world, due to the vastness of the country (and you don't realise how big it is 'till you've been there) are very different from those in Europe and elsewhere.
Never the less, it is a fact, however you slice it, that the USA has about 7% of the world's population (not sure of the correct %) and produces 25% of the total emissions of CO2, which means that the way that the Americans tackle the problem is significantly more difficult than those in more densely populated areas. For example, there is a growing tendency in the UK now to buy fresh produce from farmer's markets, where stuff is grown in the local vicinity thus saving transportation costs and I wonder if such initiatives happen in the USA.
That said, I was in Tesco's t'other day and saw that I could buy frozen Red Snapper fish, from the Great Barrier Reef in Australia :shock: and I had to think to myself.....'Why, what's going on :?' It seemed ludicrous to me that I could eat fish transported half way round the globe, yet go down to the market and buy fresh fish caught locally which is infinitely better IMO. Just some thoughts - Rob

New Zealand has a very low population density with 14.9 people per square kilometre to the United States' 31, but produces less than half the carbon emissions per head: 8.1 tonnes to 20.1 tonnes.

Just saying.

Hi all,

been following this thread with interest. As an observation, it certainly reflects the current outlook across the world - ranging from it's them (the blame game) to denial (it's not happening) to it's happening tomorrow!

Having looked at several documents etc. it seems real and so on ...but what I find more interesting, is that nothing is happening even from the more vociferous governments/parties. Simple things like on a per country mandating more efficient light bulbs, freeing up patents that prohibit efficiency, y'know what governments are meant to do!

In one document it is stated that in China estimates are that up to 100 million people will have to migrate, especially around Shanghai. The impact would be huge on all of us.

No matter whether the extremist or conservative views are right I just simply DO NOT WANT TO FIND OUT they are right!

Perhaps, by example, we could all encourage the efficient use of energy irrespectively of drivers; perhaps even influence decision makers so people similar to myself DO NOT WANT TO FIND OUT of the scientists are right or wrong.

Perhaps we need to learn a new lesson being that it is not the question of being right or wrong is important but it could be the survival of the species is determined by the fact WE AVOIDED the question in the first place! This may after all reflect the differentiation between the species being human vs. the balance of all other species that do not have the sense of self-determination.

Something to think about? :shock:

On a lighter note in my household in the UK (we are immigrants) we have to support the UK. Now in rugby (like other sports) who do we support. In my household I am of English descent whereas SWMBO is of Scots descent so yesterday it was very entertaining in my house. I support England ...but not too well (even though we won), because ........SWMBO needs to agree on the new toy.

How do others find it in their household? :D

&^&&$& my typing sucks today!!!!!

MrJay":2oxf1cm7 said:
New Zealand has a very low population density with 14.9 people per square kilometre to the United States' 31, but produces less than half the carbon emissions per head: 8.1 tonnes to 20.1 tonnes.

Just saying.

Yeah, but what do they produce, in world terms? I don't know, but I suspect they're a much more agricultural economy. Not saying which is better, or even that the U.S. is as much a manufacturing force that it once was. But I think the U.S. is still a bigger player (producer) for the energy used than say New Zealand.

Certainly the Far East is developing into the manufacturing centre of the future. And more power to them. I applaud their advances, rather than begrudging them.

Brad

P.S. Rob (Woodbloke) I don't view the situation as I described as a 'problem.' It's just the way life is, and the way things have developed.

mambo":j3q4hkib said:
will someone do me a favour and shoot me!

if you all think you can can make a difference by "reducing your carbon footprint" i feel sorry for you!
this is just another load of scientific bullshit created by scientists to justify their £100000 grants for research and the government are loving it as another excuse to raise more taxes

this planet goes through shifts in climate we all know that and if you think your gonna make a difference by fitting a low watt lightbulb while china etc are spewing out all sorts of **** into the air i`m affraid your sadly mistaken

i say roll on the next ice age coz tomorrow the scientists will be telling us its good for us to smoke 20 fags a day :shock:

ok drunken rant over :oops:

I tend to agree with this. There is absolutely no point in trying to reduce our 'carbon footprint' what good can it possibly do if the far-eastern economies continue to grow and consume at the rate they are now?

I also think that there are two ways to solve the problem.

1. Drastic reduction in the human population of the planet.
2. Exhaustion of fossil fuel reserves.

#2 will happen sooner or later, perhaps sooner due to the rate at which use is increasing.
#1 could well happen if #2 doesn't happen quickly enough.

Whatever happens, the future is going to be very different for our descendents.

Too often I throw my hands in the air and say, what difference will an individual make (eg in the face of the latest piece of government wrongdoing or the Chinese economic stampede).

In more honest and reflective mood, I am apt to think that every journey begins with a single step and that an individual can make a difference. If we just think of a couple of examples for instance.

The public attitude to smoking - has changed mainly as the result of individuals making a choice and it has now reached a point where the smoker has feels like an outcast.

Our hobby has benefited because of a few folk like Tom LN - who decided that the large manufacturers should not dictate that we have to use rubbish tools come what may because it suited them.

Our political leaders will generally do whatever they think will keep them in power. If electorates ( in democracies) or populations generally (elsewhere) make plain that they support a particular course of action our leaders will pretty soon follow..

Mudman wrote:
Exhaustion of fossil fuel reserves.
...see my original post on this thread
A possibility for replacing energy sources, apart from the 'green' stuff such as wind turbines, wave machines etc, which will go some way to offset energy needs, is the development of fusion (not fission, as we have now) powered atomic power stations. I know very little about this sort of thing, others on the forum may know allot more.....save to say that its fiendishly difficult, if not impossible to achieve a 'steady state' and that we are decades away from anything that is remotely workable.
However, there are a vast number of products apart from fuel (about 10% only of a barrel gets turned into fuel of all sorts) that are obtained from oil (chemicals, most plastics, pharmaceuticals etc) so I haven't a clue what the raw material(s) is that we will have to use once the oil is all gone....... and it will disappear very rapidly.
Chris - agree with your thoughts - Rob

Just a quick comment ..........

after a quick read through this thread I've not got much to add

BUT

once fossil fuels reserves start getting low money will go in to alternative energy reserach if not before ....... however more money will be spent building nuclear power stations

on a side note the way the media represent the nuclear industry is shocking .....

I think in answer to the original question; by the year 3000AD the cats will have long since finished their research mission on this planet and will have assumed the rightful mantle of supreme overlords. There will be prosperity (and little foil trays full of sardine chunks in jelly) for everyone.

V.

You were being studied quite intently by that particular example, Rob, I hope you were thinking worthy and righteous thoughts at the time...

Latest posts

Back