Waka's Planes the real deal (No Gloat)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waka

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry about the other post, I wasn't sure how the gloating protocol went

The planes haven't yet made it to the workshop yet, so the only play I've had was at the show, must take them down with me tomorrow.

Before I go any further, should any of you be in my neck of the woods, you are welcome to come and try the planes before you place your order with Konrad.

IMGP2631.jpg

IMGP2632.jpg

IMGP2633.jpg

IMGP2634.jpg

IMGP2637.jpg

IMGP2636.jpg

They look lovely, Waka. I tried some out at Westonbirt - they're the real deal 8) 8)

Enjoy them :wink:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Mmmmmmmmm 8) 8) 8)

I also tried Konrads out at Westonbirt, they're awesome!!

The little shoulder plane is really sweet, so sweet that its's going to be my little lunch hour project for the next term. If I'm lucky, it might be my christmas present to myself.

Regards

Aled

Just to verify. Konrad is Konrad Sauer of Sauer & Steiner Toolworks (the photo's about already confirm that)? Their prices are with three figures before the decimal point and the first figure is at least the number 2. And we're talking here about five beautiful planes all bought at the same time?

Right?

Thank you, now I know there's nothing wrong with me, far from it.

They look wonderful!

Nice Waka, those planes are truly works of art, fabulous. As a discussion point I wonder how they compare to the offerings of Karl Holtey?

I always thought his planes were the dogs, though I have never seen or used one?

This one looks very nice;

http://holteyplanes.co.uk/a13.htm

Given that you are now upgrading your planes from the humble offerings of LN and say, LV.....will a dispersal of these lesser products be in the offing?

Tony.

Very very very nice Waka - what can one say?

I had a play with two of Konrad's planes at Westonbirt and they looked gorgeous and preformed like a dream.

Comparing them with Karl Holtey's is difficult without seeing and handling them side by side. I only have the small 11A smoother to go on so a comparison is a bit unfair? But from what I've seen, Konrad's planes are truly excellent but Karl's has a certain precision/perfection which is difficult to describe - they also cost about 3x as much!
Having said that I would love to own a Sauer :)

Rod

Escudo":910xbxdw said:
Given that you are now upgrading your planes from the humble offerings of LN and say, LV.....will a dispersal of these lesser products be in the offing?

Tony.

Is there anything in particular you had in mind? I have to say that I have a little clearing out to do.

I've never used a Hotley therefore I can't make any comparison with the two and to be honest I wouldn't. What I've purchased is a set of precision hand made planes that look good, work good and will last for generations to come.

I think every workshop should at least have one S&S plane in their shop.

Going to take them in the shop today and start using them as they were intended.

Konrad's smoothers cost about £850 upwards depending on choice of materials used (and the exchange rate!)
Karl's cost £2800 to £4k plus.

The S&S's are certainly good value for a quality hand made tool.

Rod

tnimble":18x1lzsk said:
Just to verify. Konrad is Konrad Sauer of Sauer & Steiner Toolworks (the photo's about already confirm that)? Their prices are with three figures before the decimal point and the first figure is at least the number 2. And we're talking here about five beautiful planes all bought at the same time?

Right?

Thank you, now I know there's nothing wrong with me, far from it.

They look wonderful!

Yes, only 5 Sauer & Steiner planes as they haven't all arrived yet :whistle:

Waka":36cp5rc6 said:
Escudo":36cp5rc6 said:

Tony.

Is there anything in particular you had in mind? I have to say that I have a little clearing out to do.

Really...? :wink: :D

Tell you what, as you need the space, I'll take those Besseys off your hands - fiver for the lot sound fair? :lol:

bugbear":2vuxubsb said:
TrimTheKing":2vuxubsb said:
Niiiiiiiiice :D

Am I correct in my maths that these come in at the thick end of £8000 worth of planes? :shock:

Mark

I don't think so.

http://www.sauerandsteiner.com/gallery2 ... itemId=970

Their cost is however (in the famous words of Rolls Royce and Bentley when referring to engine power) "sufficient".

BugBear

Hi Bugbear

Quote from the S&S site on link you just posted (which I looked at to get my estimate) "The prices listed are the base prices for that particular model. changes in bed angle and sidewall material usually don't affect the price." then "No. A2 jointing plane (22-1/2" long) Prices start at $4850.00 CDN", which on XE.com comes to £2570.

So are the prices on the site wrong or am I looking in the wrong place?

Cheers

Mark

Waka":3fyyw9kb said:
What I've purchased is a set of precision hand made planes that look good, work good and will last for generations to come.

Absolutely, couldn't agree more. However, until I am in a position to get one :wink: , a quick question. How long did they take from initial commission to delivery?

Cheers

Mark

TrimTheKing":2kxovg5m said:
Waka":2kxovg5m said:
What I've purchased is a set of precision hand made planes that look good, work good and will last for generations to come.

Absolutely, couldn't agree more. However, until I am in a position to get one :wink: , a quick question. How long did they take from initial commission to delivery?

Cheers

Mark

Mark

I had to wait for a year, but boy was it worth it.

Waka

They look like an outstanding family of planes and having used a couple of Konrads planes at Westonbirt I can appreciate the performance you are going to get from them.

I congratulate you on carrying out something that I'd like to think I might manage in the distant future, finances permitting; to commission a full set of planes from someone like Konrad.

I'm sure you'll get tremendous pleasure from owning and using them over the coming years.

Cheers, Ed.

Back