Wainscoting Dimensions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did a bathroom in a house a couple of months ago thats exactly 100yrs old, fixed 25x50 par to the walls and then ex 100mm TG&beaded boards and finished off the bottom with torus skirting. The dado height is about 54" but that was to cover where the olsd tiles were. I was going to use a simple bull nose capping but the client wanted something a bit fancier so I rebated a 3" dado moulding.

bill1.jpg

bill2.jpg

If the boarding had been original the battens would have been fixed straight to the brickwork and the plaster stoped at the top batten so the original projection would only be the thickness of the board.

Jason

Jason, you've really hit the nail on the head there! That is exactly the type of panelling I had in mind, and thank you sincerely for posting those photos.

Could you tell me if the battens were fixed on top of the old tiles, or were they removed first, and you went to 54" to covering the rough area left behind?

What thickness were the boards you used?

If I were to attach two 25x50 battens, top and bottom, my panelling being 10mm thick I'm guessing, then the overall projection would be 35 mm to the outer surface of the boards, and then of course whatever amount the chair rail overhangs that.

You mention Torus skirting, is that an old design? I'll have to start thinking about that as well, and once again it will need to be in keeping with the age of the house. I'm planning on using 6" stuff.

Might I add that that is a beautiful job you did! I like it a lot. I'm not a fan of painted timber but that looks damn good. It has a traditional look about it it which is very appealing to me. I could almost be converted...!

Thanks a million Jason, that's brilliant!

Michael

The original intention (what the client wanted) was to fix through the tiles but there were so many loose ones that I stripped the lot off, they would have fallen off anyway once the 3kg SDS+ got going :wink:

You will want more than two battens, I used four, one at the top, one 50mm up and the other two equally spaced. Though if you only go 900mm high top, middle & bottom will do. Boards were approx 10mm finished size all secret nailed into the battens, this is where a decent electric pinner comes into its own.

The rest of the house has a 7" torus in all the upstairs rooms with picture rail about 18" down (10ft upstairs ceilings, 12ft downstairs) The bathroom was a 50's addition so has a slightly sloping ceiling of about 8ft

All the boards were knotted, primed and undercoated before fixing then filled and the u/c brought forward and then two further coats of oil based eggshel to finish off. And the boards were kept in the clients house for 4wks prior to fixing to reduce the risk of shrinkage.

Jason

Looks like Jason has covered it, but as promised.

Had to visit another client and this is some panelling I did a few years ago, the central panel is the stone wall and the mouldings are laid on.

DSCI0055.jpg

This is the same house, and the hall panelling which was originally done in Oak but the Conservation officer said it should have been done with Hemlock but MDF would be O.K. So it's MDF.

dsci0054.jpg

The following are various images from the present house we are working on.

The study
dsci0051.jpg

Main staircase
DSCI0049.jpg

The Entrance Vestibule
DSCI0048.jpg

"servants quarters"
DSCI0047.jpg

The Chapel
DSCI0044.jpg

Library
dsci0043.jpg

We will be making repairs on much of the panelling around the house as well as installing more shelving as the library is being extended.

As a matter of interest here are some shots of other parts of the house.

Clock tower
dsci0053.jpg

Foundation stone
DSCI0052.jpg

Entrance vestibule
DSCI0042.jpg

Part of a ceiling which is at odds with other features in the house, the family where Catholics, hence the chapel, but now there are what appear to be Masonic symbols in there.
This appears to be the Star of David but I believe this could also be a masonic sign.
Still a great ceiling.

DSCI0050.jpg

Dom,

Will you be having a stone laid, inscribed with "And further improvements were undertaken by Dom Valente in the year 2007" :D

Cheers :wink:

Paul

PS very nice work.

dom, wonder if some of the work comes from earlier times and when catholocism was banned in the uk, and people had to hide their views under the light of special symbols. although the date is late georgian there were still problems with being catholic at that time so various features had to have different appearances to be accepted, yet others knew what they were.

having just finished a novel about the end of the life of anne boleyn and all that it is interesting to see a manifestation of some of those items in more modern architecture.

looks like a good job, should be fun matching the workmanship :? :twisted:

paul :wink:

Dom, you've gone to a LOT of trouble, but thank you very much. There's ideas to be had there, and that's just one of the things I love about these old buildings.

Your first and second photos of your own work look great. I was thinking of doing my hall like that but in oak. It would be expensive though.

That is one seriously impressive staircase! I think I may do mine the same only completely different! I can't imagine the work that must have gone into that. Think of what it would cost to recreate that today!

I was also impressed by the size of the skirting board in the library, is that built up from multiple pieces? It looks to be high.

Top quality stuff there, Dom. They don't make them like they used to, that's for sure.

Thank you very much, that was a great post.

All the best,

Michael

Paul Chapman":wc21y9tq said:
Dom,
Will you be having a stone laid, inscribed with "And further improvements were undertaken by Dom Valente in the year 2007" :D

Ooh I like that idea

Engineer One wrote
looks like a good job, should be fun matching the workmanship

So what are you saying Paul, I can't do it :) . you don't live far away you know, I can come down there.
Now where's me Zimmer frame :)
The house appears to have been continuously added to right up to late Victorian times, it's a veritable maze, at one point yesterday i had to call out for someone to show me the way out as so many exit doors are locked :oops:

Dom

actually dom, i have my anti-zimmer frame markings all around the house :twisted: , oh shucks that's zimmerat what the germans used on their tanks :lol:

actually what will be real fun is seeing if you can find out what tricks they used to make things. i am sure lots of it will be "productionised" as well so it will be interesting if you can find out how.

job to be proud of (cowers in the corner 8) :lol: )

mind you sounds like you need a big ball of string to find your way back. :roll:

paul :wink:

MichaelM wrote:

was also impressed by the size of the skirting board in the library, is that built up from multiple pieces? It looks to be high.

Two pieces Michael, the top moulding is a seperate part, happily.

Dom

Thank's Dom, I was thinking of doing the same with my 6" skirting as my Hitachi sliding mitre saw only goes about 90mm deep roughly.

Michael

Brilliant post on the latest "house" you're working on Dom, but am I right in thinking it hasn't recently been used as a family home? - fire exit signs on staircase and fire glass in the servants quarters?

It reminds me so much of a hospital I used to work at where the main offices was once a family mansion. The main meeting room was called "The Oak Room" covered from top to toe in you guessed it! (You can go on a virtual tour on the following website.)

The estate is now the world rally headquarters for Ford Rally Team (http://www.m-sport.co.uk/html/opening.asp) but I believe many of the features in the main hall were kept or sympathetically restored.
I spent many years working at the hospital (only 2 miles away) and I haven't been back since it closed in 96'. Apparantly you have to pay to visit now!
Keep up the good work Dom - you're like what appears on the ceiling on one of your photos - NO not a cobweb! A star!! :) :D

MichaelM":2wrlfe6q said:
Thank's Dom, I was thinking of doing the same with my 6" skirting as my Hitachi sliding mitre saw only goes about 90mm deep roughly.

Michael

Lay the skirting flat on its back and tilt th esaw to 45degrees, if its a sliding saw you should be able to do 300mm high skirting that way.

JAson

Yes, it cuts about 300mm across. I use a Nobex angle finder that splits the angle and then I transfer it directly to the saw. I reckon it would be difficult to fine tune the angle on the saw for a mitre cut cross ways due to the weight of the saw head, (the Hitachi's pretty beefy) but then again, maybe I should just practice it instead of doing it the other way all the time. I won't be painting the skirting so the joints will have to be neat.

Michael

Latest posts

Back