Wadkin BFT 9in Troubles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joints

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I bought a little Wadkin BFT today and am having some troubles getting the tables alligned.

Basically the tables are quite wobbly even when locked and they seem to be pivotting a lot on the rod that goes through the bed to lock them in position.

I figured that it could be just lots of rubbish inbetween the bed and the part the beds rest on but I had a nightmare trying to get the bed off. I tried hammering the rod through the machine but could only get them to go about an inch and a half before there was no more movement.

The previous owner seems to have stuck a few shims of lead inbetween the gaps but I dont want to do this. I just want to give it all a good clean and hope they should sit nice and equal with no big gaps between bed and machine.

Anyone with any experience of these machines? Pictures will come tomorrow :)

George

George.

Are you talking about the dovetailed key ways the beds slide on ?

These can wear & it might be necessary to shim, but you can buy proper shimming strips.

Cheers.

Doug.

Well I am not entirely sure.

It looks as though the beds are connected to two round rods which sit into the machine that slide up and down when you turn the handle underneath and it seems to have very large gaps between. Thats why I want to take the beds off and give it a good clean and see if they are worn.

My trouble is getting the bed off though, the cammed screw that runs through the width of the machine just doesnt seem to want to come off!

George

Sorry to Bump but im sure i remember some of you guys have taken the same kind of machine apart.

I have manged to take the main center rod out today which was very hard work, getting caught on this big nut latch thing that it ran through.

But now I cant get any further taking the bed off, its like a puzzle i cant friggin solve!!!

:( all the best

george

Hi George,

I think we really need some photos on this one! :wink:

In the mean time, you could have a look through these two threads (both, ironically, featuring the exact same planer! :D). Not sure how it compares to your model but, it may help:

One and two.

What's happening with the Rojek?

Hi George,

I downloaded a manual for this machine some while back, it may be of use to you? PM me your email address if you want a copy.

Cheers,

Neil

Thanks guys.

Well Axminster are yet to come and pick it up to refurbish it. I manged to get it going with various wirings and a lot of blown fuses but it starts and runs but with no power so I think the motor is a dud.

Hopefully they won't take too long to replace it!

Latest posts

Back