wadkin band saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markus

Established Member
Reaction score
hi just got hold of a new toy, wadkin bzb 20 bandsaw, its direct drive so only single speed 950 rmp. seems to be fast compared with other new bandsaws i have looked at? will this be any problem when i come to use it?

joiner_sim":34uu3w9z said:
RPM? Rotations Per Minute

quite possibly but then you would have to bring the wheel diameter into the equation to make a comparison of blade speed with other machines......

equally if it's rpm of the motor you need gearing and wheel diameter

either way it's tough to make a simple comparison of blade speed based on rpm

3000 FPM or 1000 MPM seems about right to me for wood cutting. if the bands wheel is 12" than this works out about right. Much bigger than 12" then it is getting a bit fast especially for small radius curved work.

Bob

yes the wheels are 20 inch diamiter.the motor is 950rpm. but you would of thought wadkin would know what they were doing when it comes to making woodwork machinery so it should be right???

Ok so that is 4975 FPM or 1516 MPM
I agree wadkin will know what they are doing so I assume my earlier figures are incorrect.

I've just looked up the manual. Speed is quoted at 5210 FPM

Bob

Reading around a bit more on this subject, one source was suggesting 3000 FPM max for standard carbon steel blades but for bi-metal (HSS teeth on flexible backing) such as M42 can run up to 6000 FPM

On a saw like the wadkin designed for professional use, M42 type blades (that would offer greater life )would be the more common type to use anyway.

Bob

Hi Bob, that tallies with my information. From memory when digging for a new band saw last year it seemed that the somewhat lighter but high end hobby/light professional saws like the Scheppach Basato 5 I had started at around 850m/min. As the saws get bigger the blade speed tends to increase - the heavy duty 24in Italian saws are up around 1500m/min

ondablade":2lyeia34 said:
Hi Bob, that tallies with my information. From memory when digging for a new band saw last year it seemed that the somewhat lighter but high end hobby/light professional saws like the Scheppach Basato 5 I had started at around 850m/min. As the saws get bigger the blade speed tends to increase - the heavy duty 24in Italian saws are up around 1500m/min

Yes, the bigger they are, the faster they go. I've got my 30" saw running at about 4000 fpm, while some 36" industrial saws will run about 9000 fpm/2750 mpm. Now that's fast.

Kirk

Latest posts

Back