W.Marples & sons sheffield England socket chisels? SEARCHING

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tobytools

Established Member
Reaction score
EVENING gents im in search of marbles socket chisels with the 3 shamrocks logo that are socket chisels, any help much appreciated, if not for sale im just curious who has them and where from ect..

thanks
TT

I've got a few of various random sizes picked up here and there over the years. A dealer I know had a full set of bevel edged socket chisels (Marples) which he sold immediately.

I saw a set on eBay a couple of years ago- they made about 25 pounds each if I remember correctly, maybe a touch more. Never seen any since.

Hi TT
I have just two of these beautiful chisels , picked up from the car boot sale for £1 each earlier this year. Fantastic steel but not that keen on the handle so made a Lie-Nielson style one .

Lie-Nielson - Marples - Donor boxwood
DSC_0186_zps089febc5.jpg

Sorry if this shot of an old chisel loosing its handle distresses some , but it really is in bad shape.
DSC_0191_zps18391298.jpg

Onto the lathe for a bit of sexing up
DSC_0192_zpse1222ab3.jpg

DSC_0193_zps62b6d592.jpg

DSC_0195_zps136eb06e.jpg

DSC_0197_zpsa64e8c89.jpg

DSC_0199_zpsdcf485de.jpg

Now with a new handle its a better balanced chisel with superior steel to the lie-nielson .

TT if you do find a marples and it needs a handle i will send you this one FOC to redress the balance of my wicked ways :twisted:

Cheers Bern :D

That's the one bern, what a great job and excellent use of a manky old handle :)
Mine looks frumpy compared to yours.
Im going to turn the other socket for my 2nd marples. Going to make it the same as it's a good fit, It took a while taking and putting on the lathe to get it right.
What size is your chisel?
I never like socket chisels till now. New slope!!
Weeeee...

Thanks for the offer but I prefer to make handle myself. Thanks tho mate

Thanks for sharing your wip

TT

tobytools":1k0ahnbd said:
That's the one bern, what a great job and excellent use of a manky old handle :)
Mine looks frumpy compared to yours.
Im going to turn the other socket for my 2nd marples. Going to make it the same as it's a good fit, It took a while taking and putting on the lathe to get it right.
What size is your chisel?
I never like socket chisels till now. New slope!!
Weeeee...

Thanks for the offer but I prefer to make handle myself. Thanks tho mate

Thanks for sharing your wip

TT

Thanks TT
Good to see you came up with your own design of handle , getting the right fit and feel is important and if it also looks good then thats a bonus .Got 1/2'' & 3/4" in this little lot back in July

DSC_0931_zpsd9a9f0c1.jpg

They didnt look too bad but had been sanded up and the backs were rounded badly . I have never yet found a chisel with a flat back and sharp finely honed blade , have you ?

DSC_0939_zps8e43a3df.jpg

1/2'' sorted but still have lots of work to do flatting the 3/4'' , its on the sharpening bench and gets a couple of minutes work at a time when touching up tools in use. Cant face an hour in one go to sort it.

Cheers Bern :D

Nice lot there bern, I don't buy tools much now. I'm selling off ATM, spent a long time gathering tools before I did real woodwork lol.

I wish I had made the neck a little slimmer and increased the transition slightly but hey that's the past now.
I hear you one the sharpening.. I'll try the backs out on a 1000 first to see where I'm at, you never know maby this will be the flat chisel ;)
Needs grinding too but I'll take it to college and sort that.

Thinking now I might turn the other one out or wendge. An ebony and ivory style!

Mine are 3/4 and 1" so if you feel like your 1/2 isnt for you please think TT

Again thanks for the pics and information.
I'm dying to get the 1" sorted now

Cheers
TT

Back