Vintage Singer Sewing Machine suitable for Biothane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawdust=manglitter

Established Member
Reaction score
The OH has mentioned making her own horse tack in the past as the non-leather stuff you can buy in the UK isn't that great (no leather as she's vegan!).

Its the OH's birthday in a couple of weeks and I've been thinking about surprising her with a sewing machine capable of sewing a minimum of 2 layers of biothane. I have absolutely no idea about sewing or the machines, but i thought if i got her a sewing machine suitable for leather work then it should be fine for biothane?

However I've only got a budget of £200ish (max £250 at a push), so i know i wont exactly be getting a large industrial machine, but i've seen these beautifully made vintage Singer 201K sewing machines which seem to fit the bill for both price and capability (and possibly quality?)...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232687752173 ... 1436.l2649

Does anyone on the off-chance have any experience in this field who may have any tips or recommendations? Am i on the right track looking at these vintage Singer 201K sewing machines, or is there a more suitable alternative?

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 749
I use a similar vintage Singer, a hand cranked model, for sewing heavy canvas, leathers and suede, for bushcrafty / outdoors type stuff. Works very well indeed, they are very robust and capable machines. You need to use an appropriate type of needle for heavier materials but easily available.

There will be a limit to the thickness it will cope with, and that might be different on a model with a motor as that may be the weak part, not certain, but I sew stuff a few mm thick without any issue, probably 3 to 4 mm so far if I was to guess, haven't really struggled and may be capable of a bit more.

The machines are quite commonly available from around twenty quid up to maybe a hundred if fully working and good condition, most being around forty to fifty that I've noticed.

paulm":cx8midxi said:
I use a similar vintage Singer, a hand cranked model, for sewing heavy canvas, leathers and suede, for bushcrafty / outdoors type stuff. Works very well indeed, they are very robust and capable machines. You need to use an appropriate type of needle for heavier materials but easily available.

There will be a limit to the thickness it will cope with, and that might be different on a model with a motor as that may be the weak part, not certain, but I sew stuff a few mm thick without any issue, probably 3 to 4 mm so far if I was to guess, haven't really struggled and may be capable of a bit more.

The machines are quite commonly available from around twenty quid up to maybe a hundred if fully working and good condition, most being around forty to fifty that I've noticed.

Thanks Paul. I've seen adverts which show samples of 4 layers of leather being sewed, but they are the motorized machines. I have seen the hand cranked ones quite a bit cheaper, but i think she'd prefer a foot pedal motorized version in case she starts making a few bits to sell too.

5-6 in the Sue Rider shop in Nottingham.

Pete

Sawdust=manglitter":32s80gjh said:
paulm":32s80gjh said:

Thanks Paul. I've seen adverts which show samples of 4 layers of leather being sewed, but they are the motorized machines. I have seen the hand cranked ones quite a bit cheaper, but i think she'd prefer a foot pedal motorized version in case she starts making a few bits to sell too.

Makes sense. I get on fine with the hand crank, surprisingly effective and very controllable, but I'm generally only making small fiddly stuff, if doing straighter runs then a motor and being able to feed/guide with two hands would be very helpful.

Sawdust=manglitter":1x34phqm said:
Unfortunately i'm a 4hr drive away from Nottingham :?
Do you have a Sue Rider shop near you?

Pete

I have a 1956 Singer 201k and it is just amazing. I was fortunate enough to pick mine up from EBay for all of £40. Mine has its own table; a broad flat table at the same height as the machine bed makes life oodles easier. I would go for an electric one rather than a hand one.

You can still get all the bits for them, although mine can be temperamental with the bobbins and I find the original ancient ones are best.

I have never sewn biothane (not even sure what it is), but have mended my horse rugs with my Singer! If you want to send me a sample I am happy to have a go and let you know how it goes.

Biothane is some sort of robust imitation leather, so thank you for the offer Mrs C but if the machine can comfortably work a couple of layers of leather then that should mean it can do biothane. I have seen people having sowed through 4 layers using the 201k, so fingers crossed it’ll do the job intended.

I think i’ve heard enough positive comments now to push me getting the 201k, so thanks everyone that’s commented :D

Extra suggestion - IF you can find one, how about a treadle machine? Just guessing, but I'd have thought more power than hand crank, and cheaper than motorised.

I have a mate who makes tents & special stuff, mainly out of that thick "plastic/canvas" stuff that open bed lorries & trailers use (no idea what it's called). But he uses an industrial electric machine, quite expensive I think.

AES

Charity shops generally tend to have these quite frequently, to the point of not accepting them as donations.
I sort stuff for help the aged and many of the more tatty ones get sent for scrap as they will not shift in the shops.
Suggest you let some know you are on the look out.

Back