Veritas style marking gauge for half the price

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graham Orm

Established Member
Reaction score
I've ordered one, £21 including £9 postage from America. Measures in imperial and metric, also has a 2 wheel option for mortises.
I'll keep you informed about delivery time and quality when it gets here.

Edit: before someone says it, there's no micro adjuster, but even so cheaper than the standard version by £10 at least.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/iGaging-b...US_Measuring_Layout_Tools&hash=item232c24f542

These are brilliant here.
http://www.tilgear.info/zprom0039--j-ma ... -box-of-20
£2.50 each if you buy 20 - slightly too many but 4 is a handy number! Normally about a fiver.
NB they are micro adjustable by loosening the screw and tapping.
They work perfectly - I have several similar.
I find them much easier to use than the thin metal ones.

I got a fantastic marking gauge for the price of 1 masonary nail. (I made my own from bits of crappy busted asian furniture, bits of mahogany and beech, it has a captive wedge-tap & adjust-very fast, extra long jap-style fence) It is needle sharp (re-ground the masonary nail), the pin trails like a travois, smooth action, never skids or wanders, why pay more???

Jacob":8d5mskge said:
These are brilliant here.
http://www.tilgear.info/zprom0039--j-ma ... -box-of-20
£2.50 each if you buy 20 - slightly too many but 4 is a handy number! Normally about a fiver.
NB they are micro adjustable by loosening the screw and tapping.
They work perfectly - I have several similar.
I find them much easier to use than the thin metal ones.

Fed up of mine following the grain Jacob, thought I'd give the wheel type a go but didn't want to spend the Veritas price.

Must admit since I have purchased the Axminster gauge, I hardly ever use any of my old style ones. The wheel just glides through difficult grain like a hot knife through butter.

i have the same or similar DM i found it never clamped very well? there was something wrong with it i think, and the two screws never lined up? :duno:

Dangermouse":285rl95e said:
Must admit since I have purchased the Axminster gauge, I hardly ever use any of my old style ones. The wheel just glides through difficult grain like a hot knife through butter.
Thats the problem trying the new sort, you need more :lol: I was eyeing up this one on workshop heaven yesterday http://www.workshopheaven.com/tools/Quangsheng_Marking_Gauge.html Just for the workshop- then it'd be nice to have a matching pair.....oh :roll:

Sent from my GT-I9300

Grayorm":38wpoa6t said:
Fed up of mine following the grain Jacob, ....
There's a tiny bit of technique demanded. Not difficult and once you have it it's never a problem again.
Do the wheel ones not also follow the grain?
I find I need 4 (and 2 mortice gauges), which makes the metal ones a major investment and not worth it, as they aren't much better, if at all.

Jacob":hszp9oa1 said:
Grayorm":hszp9oa1 said:
Fed up of mine following the grain Jacob, ....
There's a tiny bit of technique demanded. Not difficult and once you have it it's never a problem again.
Do the wheel ones not also follow the grain?
I find I need 4 (and 2 mortice gauges), which makes the metal ones a major investment and not worth it, as they aren't much better, if at all.

Never used one but the big sell with them all is that they cut the grain rather than following it. I have marking gauges and a cutting gauge, I find both follow the grain occasionally, just enough to be irritating. The one I've ordered has a mortice gadget with it, which I'm dubious about, 'wheel' see

I've two of the 'Axminster' sort. Actually they're far eastern and fairly common. The second one I bought had a hilarious bit of card attached, I think I posted about it at the time (ages ago).

Jacob, they don't follow the grain, and I find mine far easier to adjust well than the traditional sort (I have both). Huge improvement on the earlier design if you ask me, although not 'traditional', I have to admit.

One mod is worthwhile: They have domed-headed countersunk screws holding the knife on the shaft. You can grind these flat, and reduce the diameter of the counterink very slightly, so the screw head is recessed below the knife blade. This means they're easier to set to a precise value (the dome doesn't interfere), and when retracted, they'll stand upright on the brass fence withoput wobbling or marking the surface beneath.

E.

Back