Veritas DX60 Block plane bevels?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskymac

Reaction score
I've just purchased a Veritas DX60 block plane and am very pleased with the quality of the plane. However I notice it does suggest a honing angle/bevel of 27 degrees, but does state that a bevel of 30 degrees may be more suited to timbers such as oak.
Would there be any real world difference if I made the bevel 30 degrees instead of 27 for all timbers and usual use? Anyone done this with this plane or other block planes?
I ask because I usually use a worksharp 3000 for all my chisels and plane irons as I find it very quick and able to produce a sharp enough edge for my uses. It doesn't do 27 degree bevels however, the nearest to this is 25 (not suitable) or 30 degrees.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :D

whiskymac":2v1k21xe said:
I've just purchased a Veritas DX60 block plane and am very pleased with the quality of the plane. However I notice it does suggest a honing angle/bevel of 27 degrees, but does state that a bevel of 30 degrees may be more suited to timbers such as oak.
Would there be any real world difference if I made the bevel 30 degrees instead of 27 for all timbers and usual use? Anyone done this with this plane or other block planes?
I ask because I usually use a worksharp 3000 for all my chisels and plane irons as I find it very quick and able to produce a sharp enough edge for my uses. It doesn't do 27 degree bevels however, the nearest to this is 25 (not suitable) or 30 degrees.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :D
It won't make an awful lot of difference...go for 30deg which will give you an effective pitch (EP) of 42deg if memory serves (12deg bed angle on the DX60). I hone the blade on my LN to achieve an EP of around 50deg and it works superbly. The main thing is that you're able to repeat the bevel each time and for that a honing guide of whatever denomination is hard to beat - Rob

I have an NX60 honed at 30 deg and it is fine for all sorts of wood. A great little plane and much nicer than the LN I had before - sold on ebay for a good price.

Jim

yetloh":1cyoaj5g said:
I have an NX60 honed at 30 deg and it is fine for all sorts of wood. A great little plane and much nicer than the LN I had before - sold on ebay for a good price.

Jim
Personal preference here Jim...I had an NX60 and a DX60 and whilst I initially thought they were better than my old LN block, after prolonged use I found I preferred the LN - Rob

whiskymac":hdpjiyqt said:
I ask because I usually use a worksharp 3000...It doesn't do 27 degree bevels however, the nearest to this is 25 (not suitable) or 30 degrees.

200 quid's worth of sharpener (with more for accessories), and it won't do arbitrary angles within its range!?

I feel a "grim" moment coming on!

Bugbear

Personal preference here Jim...I had an NX60 and a DX60 and whilst I initially thought they were better than my old LN block, after prolonged use I found I preferred the LN - Rob

Absolutely.

Jim

bugbear":228u5ocd said:
whiskymac":228u5ocd said:
I ask because I usually use a worksharp 3000...It doesn't do 27 degree bevels however, the nearest to this is 25 (not suitable) or 30 degrees.

200 quid's worth of sharpener (with more for accessories), and it won't do arbitrary angles within its range!?

I feel a "grim" moment coming on!

I'm feeling many "moments" coming on in addition to that. From a sarcastic "Are we sure that 27° is best and not 27.5°...?" to "Useless damn A2 needing higher angles". Sigh. I will sit on my hands, roll my eyes - and say nuttin'. :-#

Alf":fu4him6g said:
..... Sigh. I will sit on my hands, roll my eyes - and say nuttin'. :-#
Me too!
It's "Grim" RIP, BTW.
I've done him in. Time for a change!

Latest posts

Back