Veneer Press Screw Suppliers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dunbarhamlin

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks
Anyone know of a UK (or European) source for press screws? I need half a dozen for some bending forms (9" screws would do, but 12" better,) and I'd rather not burn carbon getting them from the states if pos.
Thanks
Steve

Record used to sell a threaded vice screw which was ideal for the purpose, but it doesn't seem to be listed any more

Scrit

You could get someone that has a wooden screw tread cutter to make some and you make the handles.

Would 1 1/4" or 32mm be ok or is it 25mm / 1" but I cant think of any one what would have one at th moment :whistle:

If its for a one off why not use some threaded bar and ordinary nuts and washers?
Will not be as fast or as convenient as purpose made screws but a lot cheaper.

Cheers

Grahame

Thanks for the replies folks.

Yes, it it the Woodcraft type things that I'm after.

I don't think threaded rod or wood would be suited to the task in hand (though more than happy to be convinced otherwise).

I intend to make veneer press type gantries (the fixture will need 1 fixed vertical and two which can tilt freely from a fixed pivot) to bend sawn veneer (2mm-ish, depending on species) across the grain over a sleeping policeman shaped mold using silicon heat blankets. The gantries need to span about 28 inches to work for the full range of instrument sizes

This is the same operation as a fox-style bender used for guitar sides, except this is for mandolin family backs. Given the increased risk of splitting bending in this direction, the presses do need to be pretty slick. The cramp pressure required isn't great, but I do want fairly easy operation, since I'll need to evenly tighten them two at a time. (I figure I'll need two per gantry with a caul 7" high to give an even pressure over the full 'width' (in quotes because it is the length of the instrument back that they'll be spanning)

I do use threaded rod for homespun spindle clamps and other jigs, and it just doesn't feel smooth/quick enough for this.
Similarly with wood, since I need to operate two in synchrony.

Cheers
Steve

Cheers
Steve[/img]

Hi Steve

wood would do the job and if the threaded rods where longer than you need, you could cut them so that they turned the way you want.

I have used one on my end vice, plus the pitch is not as slow as the rods you have been using.

I hope it helps

Colin :)

Get thee behind me! :twisted:

Sounds suspiciously like I'm being tempted to need tap and die sets for wood - hmmm.

I was put off the idea of wood because the few wood threads I've come across have been a bit clunky/tempermental. What wood's are suited to threading/tapping for vice screw type apps?

What's the difference between the veneer press screw Chris (Waterhead) posted, and a plain vice screw like I posted?

It has a foot, and a handle?

Neither of those deficiencies are too difficult to get around.

Oo, sorry Jake.

Have to admit laziness on my part - once I've got an idea of how I want to make a jig/fixture (what is the difference between these, anyway?) I tend to look for a components based solution, so if there's an off the shelf hardware option I'm inclined to go for it.

Think it's the vestiges of ab initio impatience to see the finished product - I really enjoy prepping my tools, devising an approach to a problem and working on the object - somehow time spent making the bits to make the bits doesn't factor in the same way (yet :? )

I do see that it wouldn't take too much to make suitable handles and foot pads.

Cheers
Steve

My comment was just a rhetorical question, not particularly for you, just musing really that there isn't much difference.

You do seem to have swung from cutting wooden threads to off-the-shelf solutions in two posts, though!

Jake":2hvodspg said:
What's the difference between the veneer press screw Chris (Waterhead) posted, and a plain vice screw like I posted?

It has a foot, and a handle?

Neither of those deficiencies are too difficult to get around.
The main issue is that with the veneer screw, the collar you see up where the handle goes? That is on the opposite side of the frame you build for the press. The cross member is drilled on the side away from the handle large enough that the nut slip into it.

On the bench screw, the flange for mounting goes on the outside face of the mounting, on the same side as the handle.

It is because the pressure against the nut [veneer screw] and the flange [bench screw] is different. If you mount a bench screw in the typical fashion and tried to use it for a veneer screw, the mounting bolts would pop out.

Take care, Mike

Isn't that just an issue of how you mount it, though, Mike?

I have anti-racking screw on my tail vice, which is the nut and lead screw from an old record vice I got for peanuts. It has the nut mounted on inside face of the vice jaw (actually buried in the middle of the laminated jaw, but functionally the same thing). I screw the leadscrew through the nut, and it presses against the inside jaw - what's the difference?

Latest posts

Back