Veneer for stringing?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great going Mark, looks good so far. each time you inset a piece you will improve as you will learn a bit more each time. With regard to the sawing of the inlay, the following vid may help you a bit. The main thing to remember is you are not trying to get the inlay to the needed dimension off the saw. I allways saw over size and then shave it down to size.
Once the wide strip comes off the saw, cut to just a little over the final seen width of the inlay. I then place the veneer strip flat on a cutting board and clamp a 1" high guide on top, leaving a section of the veneer sticking out to the side (still supported by the cutting board). The sticky out piece is as wide as the depth of the inlay groove I intend to cut plus 1mm ( to allow of scraping level later) plus the thickness of my hand veneer saw.

So I end up with a rectangular cross section, the longer side being the vertical face) and the shorter obviously being the horizontal face that will be seen once inlaid in place. Both dimensions at this time are too large.

The vertical face will not be changed until after the inlaying has been completed, the other face is now worked on to get it to the dimension needed. this is done by pulling it through a hand thicknesser, which has a blade as sharp as you can make it, and adjusting the gap down 100TH of a mm at a time until the inlay piece is evenly thicknessed and fits into the inlay groove. Once glued in the remaining overspill that is above the suface is then scraped of using either a #80 or a card scraper.

Just another thing I do, is this: when I am marking out. I cover the area carefully with blue marquetry tape first. This helps me to draw the design without marking or damaging the surface of the board and seems to give a much better, crisper arris to the inlay groove. When it comes to actual inlaying it helps prevent any glue compromising the board suface.

hth

EDIT (forgot to put vid link in #-o ) http://theapprenticeandthejourneyman.co ... -band-saw/

Thanks Droogs, useful tips! I still have some jig-making to do, it seems.

And Custard, thanks for the offer and I will take you up on it, at least to get me a little further down the runway!

Not terrible for a first try when you clean it up...

IMG_2736a.jpg

=D>
Crack on Mark. Great progression. Fair play to you.

More progress - Custard very, *very* generously sent me some veneer to experiment with while I try to find a local commercial source, that's due to arrive today and I'm kinda giddy to see it; but we had sunshine over the bank holiday weekend so I had to hide in the shed and mother's day is coming up so...

IMG_2763a.jpg

IMG_2772a.jpg

IMG_2774a.jpg

And some contrasting stringing using walnut veneer for the feet:

IMG_2759a.jpg

And I started the first stage of the glueup -

IMG_2779a.jpg

Finicky, but I checked in on it this morning and it worked nicely. The feet are just on with butt joints, but it's not like this is going to be hit with a hammer, it should be fine - both sides stand nice and stable on their own right now.

I'll finish with something simple (osmo maybe? I don't want to darken the stringing too much), and then I'll tackle something a bit more complex with the stringing using Custard's material and the heatgun for tighter radii and custom-cut plugs so the berries aren't all the same colour and maybe I can try some banding...

...and then I'll probably go back and do something jacobian with no inlay at all and a bunch of oak carving just to forget it all so I can go relearn it later (sans mistakes this time) for making xmas presents :D

Said it before. Fair play to you Mark. That is excellent. Course there's the odd bit you're not happy with, it's your first attempt. It's a good thing you're not happy with it as long as you balance it with a rightful sense of achievement.
(On the sidetrack quickly, did you ever see the Irish TV programs Hands? Probably you're well aware of it I guess. If not I think you'll love it. Just in the unlikely case it's slipped past you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx2y7MAys20&t=215s
I'm six weeks in (yesterday) to giving up the 40 a day 25 year habit.
If i 'm having a little rage/fingercurl/stand up sit down stand up moment I put this on. Swear to God it works like a charm. I'm like a 2 year old watching the baby methadone of teletubbies.
If that fails then this weeks answer is Finbar Furey And Christy Dignam on your very own Late Late Show. You're under no obligation to like this for just being Irish of course but it works better for me than going out to run people over in my van like I'm playing Grand Theft Auto. So that's good. :wink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofhao4SHXGo

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'd post proper youtube video links but for some reason I have forgotten how to do it.
=D> Well done mate.

It was that episode of Hands that had me thinking stringing was a thing I could do - specifically the bit where he's using a slot cut in what looks like an old bit of saw plate to size the stringing :D

Holy dung.
Custard, you maniac.

This is what I was hoping he'd send:
2018-05-09-20.45.06a.jpg

It's a small batch of sycamore veneer, a few sheets of it to experiment with while I found a local commercial source. In face, the bottom sheaf there is all I was hoping for.

This is what he sent:
IMG_2798a.jpg

Holy dung!
IMG_2801a.jpg

A small board of curly cherry (I've never even seen cherry in the... er.. flesh? - it's lovely, I understand now why people like to make furniture with it), some thick walnut veneer including some heavily rippled walnut which is *magnificent*...

IMG_2800a.jpg

Some lovely thick ebony and boxwood veneer and a board of rippled sycamore that is just unbelievably beautiful. I need to find a local source over here for sycamore, it's just too damn pretty!

Thanks so much Custard, I'm going to have to do something ambitious with this :D

He really is VERY generous!
What a top bloke. =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Another small update. Shelf completed, a small present for herself for the office to keep her desk a bit tidier (she didn't know I was doing it and is quite happy with it because she hasn't seen the mistakes yet :D ).

http://www.stochasticgeometry.ie/2018/0 ... -finish-2/

Simple finish, just two coats of Osmo. Might add on a third sneaky coat tonight...

IMG_2806a.jpg

IMG_2807a.jpg

IMG_2808a.jpg

IMG_2809a.jpg

IMG_2811a.jpg

Now I need to go and have a little think about what to do to best use Custard's very generous gift! :)
I haven't made a little chest of drawers before (little as in, say, a foot tall and a foot wide and six inches deep with four or five drawers). Something like the US spice chest box idea...

Great start Mark!

There's quite a few areas where stringing and inlay can really add quality and value to a piece. Stringing on legs accentuates any tapering, and makes the legs look slimmer and more elegant. Stringing around the edges of a drawer adds definition, especially if it loops around an escutcheon or a drawer pull.

And there are plenty of unique little twists you can work in, for example I've incorporated morse code messages into stringing using a combination of Ebony and Sycamore stringing. That's an idea I picked up from Garret Hack who uses stringing in very innovative and contemporary ways,

http://www.finewoodworking.com/2008/08/ ... -stringing

custard":3s3hr7qk said:
... I've incorporated morse code messages into stringing using a combination of Ebony and Sycamore stringing.....

So tell us more....what kind of messages...are you working for the Russians? :eek:

Back