Vapour barrier.... what should I use?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damo8604

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Really excited, my patio looks like it'll be finished by the weekend ready for me to start building a log cabin for the kids.

It's quite a reasonable size (6mx3m) and I want to ensure it lasts.

My intentions are to use 2x4s for the frame, insulated with 50mm Celotex, clad internally with some T&G, vapour barrier around the structure with battens for the log lap to fix to.

Trying to find a suitable barrier is proving tricky as I'm not sure what to go for, I found this http://goo.gl/T9Lth9 but not sure of it's suitability, could anyone advise me please?

TIA
Damian

Damo, not my area of expertise I'm afraid. However I did build a spa house for the hot tub last year so I hope you'll be doing work in progress photos etc!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My understanding is that you use:
- Vapour barrier on the warm side to prevent moist air reaching the cold side where it could condense water inside the structure
- A breathable barrier on the cold side to prevent driving rain from penetrating the structure but to allow any moisture that does get in there to escape.

Ie your vapour barrier would go behind your internal plasterboard (I believe the foil backing on some plasterboard serves this purpose, although badly). You would wrap your insulated stud work frame in a breathable membrane (ie builders paper or Tyvek house wrap) prior to over battening and cladding.

If I'm wrong can someone please please say so as I'm about to do this on my new workshop!

Fitz.

Hey Damian,
The Celotex foil will act as your vapour barrier, you just need to tape the seems with aluminium tape (if the space is not heated you should not really get that much moisture). I would wrap in a breather house wrap as well. I Used http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271683791...49&var=570520753874&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT (just the eco version) on my porch and has worked a treat, even when I did not have cladding on the side and had driving rain a couple of times and nothing come through.

Cheers
Mark

Just get some TPS (temporary protective sheeting) from your local builders merchants , it's about £15 for 4x25m.

I used Corovin and have a decent length of it left over from my shed build if you fancy a trip to Winchester?
Plus a fair amount of the glues if you are planning to use EPDM on your roof?
Glad to get rid of them.

Rod

Latest posts

Back