Vacuum hose - Festool-alike

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomGW

Established Member
Reaction score
I use a couple of freestanding vacuums in my garage/workshop. One is fairly permanently attached to either the chop saw or mitre saw and the other used for my Festool tracksaw, Metabo sander etc; in other words the portable tools. For this I'm using a Vacmaster 25L which has an auto run function and so far has been great. However, the main gripe is the hose and its lack of flexibility that simply makes it harder to use. Obviously I could upgrade to a Festool or similar more upmarket vac, but I'm wondering if there is a hose available that is similar to the Festool one. I'm picking Festool as the example because I have used a friend's Festool vac and really envy the hose. Is there a less costly alternative but similar hose?

If you mean their latest one with the braided outer and super flexy inner, I've never come across a comparable product.
I will point you to Mirka black antistatic hoses though. These are lighter weight, quite a lot more flexible than most of the traditional type and their prices far lower than festool. Worth checking out.

Last edited:
I have a cheapo Sealy hose which is reasonably robust (I've trodden on it many times) but tends to snag on things, especially the edges of tracksaw tracks. Curious to know if anyone's used these guys: https://hosewraps.com and if you'd recommend them?

I have the original festool one with no outer cover and it’s a pain, keeps catching on edges if I don’t hang it correctly. So this is interesting.

Sod it - ordered one, I’ll let you know what it’s like.

Last edited:
That sort of expandable sleeving is used a lot in electrical / machinery. It is widely available.

Check out the range here, specifically their Hillflex PG in all sorts of sizes and colours. They do heatshrink tube with and without adhesive too. That will do the ends neatly.

https://hilltop-products.co.uk/cable-sleeving-protection/braided-knitted-glass-sleevings.html

I'd probably contact them and ask what size is needed to fit around a particular length and diameter because the sleeving gets shorter the more you expand it.

I have a cheapo Sealy hose which is reasonably robust (I've trodden on it many times) but tends to snag on things, especially the edges of tracksaw tracks. Curious to know if anyone's used these guys: https://hosewraps.com and if you'd recommend them?

I have the original festool one with no outer cover and it’s a pain, keeps catching on edges if I don’t hang it correctly. So this is interesting.

Sod it - ordered one, I’ll let you know what it’s like.

Been using hose wrap on my vac hose for a a few years now. Its completely solved the snagging problem. Some thought is required when attaching at the ends to avoid excessive strain and making sure the rotating ends can still rotate.

Yes I’ve done that with my festool hose and it really does help. The ends do fray so I taped up with insulating tape. It was a real sod to fit though.

Most useful thing I did was to run a festool cable inside it too, eliminating the extra trailing cable. When not in use it has a wee band to tuck it in.

Too mean to replace all my tools with battery Bluetooth ones. Ditto the fancy festool hose.

Go for it.

Thanks for the responses.
Yes, I had been thinking about the Festool hose with the braided outer and super flexy inner. The soft, rubbery end of the Festool hose fits my Metabo sander and obviously my Festool track saw so is a major attraction.
It sounds like I should either bite the bullet and buy a Festool extractor/genuine hose for my existing vacuum/think about a Mirka hose and braided cover. Mmmm this looks like it heading in an expensive direction.

I bought the nice Festool hose but use it on a Nilfisk extractor with a Mafell tracksaw. Fits perfectly.
I tend to use the Mirka hose for sanding as it's lighter - it's also anti-static, tapered and cheap enough that you can indulge in the second hose. They do the same thing with a rotating rubber end as well for a few more £.
20240616_190000.jpg

Latest posts

Back