Using a lathe to make a smoking pipe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Escudo

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hello there all,

I am interested in having a go at making some smoking pipes with my new lathe.

Here is a video of a lathe being used to make the initial shaping of the pipe bowl.

http://www.tylerlanepipes.com/modules.p ... 0a%20Lathe

I don't know whether members can tell What type of jaws / chuck set-up are needed to hold the briar in the fashion shown?

The tyler site makes mention of a oneway scroll chuck. What is a scroll chuck?. Is this a different type of chuck or jaw set?

At the moment I don't have a chuck at all. I have my eye on the new Robert Sorby Patriot chuck.

The main purpose for my post is to be sure that this chuck will be able to handle this type of work or alternatively have a jaw set suitable to adapt to holding the briar.

Looking for some guidance and advice from more experienced member.

Has anybody had a go at making pipes?

Cheers, Esc. (Tony)

Escudo, the Patriot chuck is a Scroll Chuck and of an improved design to that shown in the video.

The standard jaws supplied with it should handle that type of turning, but as there are a range of jaws including the nova ones that will fit it there should be no problem holding pieces that size, although maybe with glue blocks etc. to ease the task,

Remember the video just shows one persons method of doing the task, others may choose to do it slightly differently, and with differing tool techniques.

Tony,

I have a PDF scan from an American magazine "Mechanix Illustrated" from sometime in the 1940s - 50s that has the details of makeing your own pipe if your intrested pm my your email address I forward you a copy.

Simon

Thanks for the advice fellas,

I am going to have a look at the Patriot Chuck at next weeks Harrogate show. It seems to be a good choice at the moment.

PM sent Simon, thanks for your kind offer of the pdf file. I will take this to my pipe smoking club in Norwich. I am sure it will be of general interest.

I think it would be great if I could make a pipe and smoke it! 8)

Cheers, Esc. (Tony)

At this point a source of pipe briars would be welcome........

there's not many of us left :wink: ...strange how pipe smokers are usually welcomed but ciggies aren't... 'cept in the confines of a car.. :lol:

Well, despite this horid smoking ban the pipe club continues to thrive.

Here is a link to our website, which shows some of this years events.

http://www.pipeclubofnorfolk.co.uk/misc ... us2007.php

Not wishing to boast but I am the current clay champion.

The smoking ban means we can no longer smoke in our club room at the pub. However, we have managed to create a sort of area outside that has been acceptable (apart from the evening when it rained :cry: )

We held the clay tourney in a members garage and that was a good evening.

Next Wednesday is cheese & pickle night and we are back at the pub. Hope the weather is kind.

Glad to hear you are a fellow puffer "oldsoke". We need to stick together in these dark days.

Esc. (Tony)

Congratulations on your win Esc =D> - do I presume you won because you managed to let the 3gms last longest? It's all new to me! :oops:

Woody

Thats right Woody,

3 grams of baccy, 5 mins to load up, 1 min to light .... Who lasts the longest?.

I think it was around 58 minutes to win the clay.

Not a bad time at all. Although, I think the world record for 3 grams is over 3hrs. Ember chasing technique required to achieve at time like that, not really smoking.

Well, feels like time to light my trusty pipe......... :D

Esc. (Tony)

Back