Unusual wood working hazard

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CWatters

Established Member
Reaction score
I was about to get an oak beam from a temporary stash when my 7 year old son spotted this on the pile..

img1888small.jpg

img1891small.jpg

Working at my brother's place in the Charente (France) last year on some cabinets. Moved some chestnut and swmbo had a race with a grass snake, pity she was going in one direction and the snake in the other. Mind it was a beauty, the snake, thick as your wrist and all of five feet.

xy

xy mosian":2p0yqjeo said:
Mind it was a beauty, the snake, thick as your wrist and all of five feet.

xy
Good job you clarified that for us xy, I thought you were talking about SWIMBO :lol: - Rob

Are your sure that is a grass snake, those in my garden are different, eg they do not have the marking underneath.

Definately a Grassie ... he's harmless.
I've a bit of experience of snakes.. ( mostly Pythons ).
Pick him up if he comes back , he'll be fine with you... he'll quite enjoy the warmth transmitted.

If he's 'scared' .. he's quite likely to roll over on his back and 'play dead'... open-mouthed usually.

There's only the one 'potentially' nasty one naturally in the Uk.. the adder.
And even that isn't 'That' nasty, compared to what occurs elsewhere .. the Fer De Lance etc..

Snakes are great ! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Jenx - I'm no expert on snakes and would only be able to identify a few really obvious ones like milk vs coral, rattlers and the likes...

...that might be bettr stated there's only one potentially nasty native snake around here.
If someone's not into snakes they should probably treat all of them as potentially veneomous when you consider that some people will keep exotic venemous snakes which sometimes escape.

I don't think I'd fancy one as a pet, but I do like snakes a lot. An albino python took (according to its owner) an unusual liking to me a whole back. Whereas other people were just hung from, she was trying to get inside my shirt and when he took her back she'd try to get back to me when she had the chance. Maybe I'm a bit warmer than most? I dunno.

I do like them though.

As a side note, I think people who keep constrictors as pets and treat them as if they wouldn't hurt anyone are a bit mad.
I was told about some animals show where a woman was worried about her constrictor (pyton maybe, not too sure) had stopped eating.
"Do you let it sleep in your bed?"
"Yes, why?"
"Your snake isn't ill, it's starving itself while it gets ready to eat you."
I paraphrase, but that's the general point.

Hi Bigshot ... yes, my vocabluary maybe wasn't too clear ..
when I'd said NATURALLY IN THE UK, , I'd assumed that it would be understood as 'native to'. ... But just to clarify, the Adder is the only venomous Native UK Snake.

However, there are plenty of others which can, and do perform Houdini Acts and escape from captivity and can survive quite happliy.
Most Herpetologists in the UK tend to keep Pythons / Boa's ( Constrictors ), usually Ball Pythons, Burmese, Common Boa's, Rosy Boa's, Emerald Tree Boa's, and some other genus's .. Colubrids etc.. the usual Corn Snakes, Western Hognose Snakes, Gartersnakes, etc.

The real 'nasty' ones are an extreme rarity.. usually confined to zoo type environments... but there are always those who will want to keep such things and will invariably find a way of doing so.

Cheers BS ... never hurts to clarify the info ! :lol: :lol: 8)

Back