Unknown tools - any ideas?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lons

Established Member
Reaction score
i've started clearing out and found these two long forgotten items in the back of a drawer. had them so long i can't remember where they came from but am intrigued as to their use.
Any ideas anyone?

**1st tool is marked "Hellerman Electric Ltd, crawley, Sussex"

**2nd is just a handle which has a serial or patent no but no manufacturer that I can see. Is brass and the thumbwheel has a slot at the business end. I assume it held a blade of some kind but can't imagine what.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 2,596
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 2,596
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 2,597
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 2,597
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 2,598
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 2,596
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 2,596
  • e.jpg
    e.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 2,596
The second item is a Padsaw Handle. The hook engages with a tooth and the notch pushes the back of the (broken hacksaw) blade.

I had a similar item with cast iron frame/handle.

I used to do it on calves, it was like a little silk purse and you had to check both balls where in the purse, so to speak.

Wasnt a job I liked doing tbh!

Adidat

Alvan":c9saljbp said:
The second item is a Padsaw Handle. The hook engages with a tooth and the notch pushes the back of the (broken hacksaw) blade.

I had a similar item with cast iron frame/handle.

Thanks Alvan.
I wondered about a padsaw but for the life of me couldn't see how it worked. will try a blade.

cheers
Bob

Lons":3elasfbt said:
**1st tool is marked "Hellerman Electric Ltd, crawley, Sussex"

Used in conjunction with a Hellerman, glycerine like lubricant.

Still have a bottle of Hellerine, now some 45 yrs old at least, having lost it's label many years ago.
http://www.hellermanntyton.co.uk/site/p ... /625-00001
Still have a few of the pink rubber sleeves somewhere, guess they may be rather brittle by now.
DSCN4642-800.jpg

The tool also works to a limited (expansion) extent on thin PVC marker sleeves.

Attachments

• DSCN4642-800.jpg
    DSCN4642-800.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 2,513
Hellerman, also known as honeymoon pliers ;-)

Pete

Racers":32bxn68h said:

Pete
Now I knew them as a 'named' stretcher used under similar circumstances and was wondering how to post the fact.

xy

Racers":247ukdw6 said:

Pete

We called them something along the same lines, but I can't repeat it here... :-"

I still have my sleeving expanding pliers and Hellerine lube somewhere.

Used to use them extensively when I did my Aircraft Avionics Engineering apprenticeship in the early 90's. You needed so little of the lube took ages to get through :)

There is also a larger version for heavier gauge cables.

Jon.

Afternoon Lons

Can't see from the picture if there is a slot running all the way through the handle, or if the blade 'hole' is blind.

If the blade can come through the handle, if it slips, you can poke a hole in your hand, especially with a padsaw blade. :shock:

Cheers

Dave

Even though these are "largely replaced by heatshrink sleeving"...I have a feeling that the new way is nowhere near as flexible as the original where things that move (like mic leads) are concerned.

Jimi

Deejay":2cjpgbs0 said:
Afternoon Lons

Can't see from the picture if there is a slot running all the way through the handle, or if the blade 'hole' is blind.

If the blade can come through the handle, if it slips, you can poke a hole in your hand, especially with a padsaw blade. :shock:

Cheers

Dave
OUCH! I hadn't noticed that 'cos the end was filled with crud.
Just shoved a hacksaw blade through so glad you pointed that out. Looks a useful handle though.

Bob

Dangermouse.":1km5o35h said:
"Honeymoon pliers " LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL ......................................

reading some of the posts, I think I've led a sheltered life :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back